Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARP head bolt broke off inside the block!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 06:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they are stronger, then how come they cant withstand the higher torque specs that the factory ones can?

Im not blameing arp, i am a little upset i didnt get torque spec instructions. Thats all. Just understand this isnt a pleasent experience and i dont trust an arp bolt after one broke off inside the block. Its not easy getting it out. Im going to pull my other head off this weekend and trash all the arp bolts and put my heads back on with stock bolts whenever i get the broke bolt out of my block.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude..... you STILL don't get it. ARP bolts ARE stronger. Period. They have a higher tensile strength to failure ratio than the stock TTY bolt. They do not NEED to be torque'd to a TTY spec to be a "stronger" piece.

Different grade bolts torque to different specs and are made to withstand given loads based on fastener material PLUS tq. spec.

The key words here are TTY. ARP'S are not TTY. Did you not know that?

We hate it for you, but just DAMN..... if you knew the difference, and didn't have tq. specs, common sense dictates you verify them BEFORE proceeding.

Not trying to be a dick and bust yer *****, but just hate to see someone blame someone else for THEIR ***** up.

Good luck!
Old 02-09-2005, 09:29 PM
Launching!

LowETz hinted at it when he mentioned tensile strength. There are different kinds of strengths, shearing, elongation, etc. Strength is not simply strength. Different kinds of strength are needed in different applications. I.e.; Certain types of windows are VERY strong if you were to hit them head on. But, if you hit them from the ends they would shatter very easy, especially when compared to the strength they have from the sides.

In short, you applied the wrong kind of force to this bolt that it's not meant to endure AND WOULD NOT INCUR IN ITS APPLICATION. You needlessly overtwisted the damn thing. Is a little man sitting on the damn thing twisting it when you drive down the road? I think not. The stock bolt won't break when you do that because it is weaker and stretches and essentially distorts, which is why you can't use it again, which is why it can have that type and amount of strength applied to it.

You applied the wrong kind and amount of force (that it won't endure during it's application, so strength in this sense is mute) to a stronger bolt for the application it was meant.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:34 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MakoLS1
If they are stronger, then how come they cant withstand the higher torque specs that the factory ones can?
Any time you make a piece of steel stronger, you also make it more brittle. Mild steel will stretch and deform until the cows come home, but steel heat treated to 63 Rockwell will break like glass when you drop it. Yet it is much harder and stronger. It's a trade off.

A heat-treated part that has been tempered is some where in the middle and has characteristics of both mild steel and carbide.

If I were you, I would leave those other ARP bolts in there and just get one more to replace the one that broke.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:55 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I figure you probly torque'd it to 150ftlbs before it broke.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

just stop working on your car, pay someone else to do it from now on.
damn i love smart people..
Old 02-22-2008, 08:24 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

01slowbird,
You may not have noticed, but the last post on this thread prior to yours was a bit over three years ago.

Steve
Old 02-23-2008, 08:31 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 02-23-2008, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

at least it is good for people who need the torque specs for the ARP bolts.............lol
Old 08-21-2019, 01:04 PM

Default Your broken head bolt,I need help in same position.

Originally Posted by MakoLS1

ARP head bolt broke off inside the block!! it's on the bottom row, 2nd from the front. Its recessed about 3 in. in the block. Can't even see down in the hole to see if your going to drill centered and straight. I have a guy comming to look at it to bring a retracter rod and mabey weld inside the hole, like creating another head bolt then mabey twist it back out.

I know the bolt pattern and torque specs were done right. Do u think ARP wil do anything about this??? They are arp bolts...

How did you get the bolt out I have one stuck about 3 inches and I can not get it out.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,111 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen Schaeffer
How did you get the bolt out I have one stuck about 3 inches and I can not get it out.
That guy hasn't been here since '06.

Quick Reply: ARP head bolt broke off inside the block!!