Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 Springs with this lift?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
63-LS-216/220 Comp Cams LS1 Camshaft - 216 / 220 .525 / .532 114 LSA 1300-6300 RPM Power Band. Computer Tuning Required with automatic transmission cars. One of our most popular cams...This has proven to be a very well balanced camshaft in that it makes good power across the entire RPM range. Works well with Crane 1.8 Roller Rockers. $399.99
View Dyno Graph

I had this cam before on my 99 TA, made ~370 (M6), used LS6 02 springs for 30K untill I sold the car.

This is from Thunder Racing.
Thank you Predator for the help so far.
The cam you mention is the Comp Cams part number 54-414-11, LS1 XR269HR-14
You say it has gentle ramps, but it's part of the Xtreme RPM family, correct?

Since you posted a cam with those numbers, let's look at the Lunati Family of cams: http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLin...CC/Chevy6.html

3rd on down. 55003LUN
HYDRAULIC ROLLER, Fair idle. High performance cam. Lots of mid-range torque and upper horsepower. 2000-5000
Intake 282° Exhaust 221° Lift .526"/.534"

A sponsor I emailed even recommended the 55004LUN. He said >>"You might want to check out their pn# 55004, which I keep in stock. This cam will make good power, plus it is valvespring friendly. It is a 558/558 221/221 at .050 with a 114 LSA. It goes for $350.00."

Comments Welcome
Old 02-13-2005, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Gentleness on springs has to do with ramp rates. The cam with the slowest rates will be more gentle.
I have no experience with the lunati cams.
The 216/220 is on a slow ramp, much less than XE. It is a proven cam, and in the old days, 97/98 LOL, this cam used to be as popular as the TR224 before it came out.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem is there aren't many cams designed for long spring life. The GM HC, LS6, ASA, that comp 216/220, GT2-3 are the only ones I can think of. The HC, ASA and 216/220 have considerably LESS lift than the LS6 springs can support. The GT2-3's duration is way too short for me, as are the HC's and LS6's. The ASA cam is a bit too aggressive on the duration/overlap side.

So I contacted Ed Curtis (EDC on the forums) at Flowtech Inductions, and he is making me a custom cam with less aggressive lobes and everything else I want. I am going with AFRs, so the "Patriot Gold" style springs should last a long, long time.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:05 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Grant B
The problem is there aren't many cams designed for long spring life. The GM HC, LS6, ASA, that comp 216/220, GT2-3 are the only ones I can think of. The HC, ASA and 216/220 have considerably LESS lift than the LS6 springs can support. The GT2-3's duration is way too short for me, as are the HC's and LS6's. The ASA cam is a bit too aggressive on the duration/overlap side.

So I contacted Ed Curtis (EDC on the forums) at Flowtech Inductions, and he is making me a custom cam with less aggressive lobes and everything else I want. I am going with AFRs, so the "Patriot Gold" style springs should last a long, long time.
aggreed, thats what i told him over on ls2. stop trying to shoehorn an off the shelf cam in and just get a custom cam ground to work with the spring pressures he desires.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

Talking

Originally Posted by jrp
aggreed, thats what i told him over on ls2. stop trying to shoehorn an off the shelf cam in and just get a custom cam ground to work with the spring pressures he desires.
And as I posted on LS2,

Jrp;

You post on several different sites and you appear to be rather intelligent is respect to the Lsx variety of engines. This appears to be your major hobby, or you have an engineering background.

My major hobbies are shooting/reloading and computers. The 2002 CETA is the third hobby, but I devote less time to it by necessity. I load custom ammunition that is superior to factory match. It takes a lot of experience to build a safe, high performance rifle load. There are so many variables in reloading ammunition that sometimes it appears to be a “black art” to the casual shooter.

Choosing the right valve train components has some of that “black art” appearance to the casual mechanic. Just like some shooters who choose factory match rather than expend the volumes of time required to undertake custom reloading like I do, ppl try to choose “off-the-shelf” performance parts to achieve higher performance. If someone doesn't have the intense uncritical devotion to shooting I do, I don't tell them that they must develop their own custom load. Factory match can suit them just good enough.

Sure, if you go custom, you can be nearly perfect. But if you go off-the-shelf, you can get pretty close. Satisfyingly better than original factory. So to our credit, we’re taking more time away from our usual pursuits for posting and reading to gain an insight.

Frequent posters like yourself might get exasperated with the neophyte who appears to be stumbling where you see clearly. I hope you will continue to help people get as much enjoyment with your hobby/pursuit as you do.

Go ahead and post your custom cam specs. I’m interested in what you called out when ordering it, and how well it ran. But truly, I’m most probably going with an aftermarket shelf part.

My nirvana will come with the assistance of Redding, Sierra, Alliant, & some Lake City brass!

Last edited by fnbrowning; 02-13-2005 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Getting a custom cam from EDC or anyone else doesn't really take any more of your time (Actually it probably takes less because you don't have to shop around, like you are doing now), but it does cost a bit more. If you don't want to do any research at all, just buy a GM cam and be done with it.

BTW, I think valvetrain selection is a black art to most "experts". Especially with longetivity in mind, where harmonics can cause problems.
Old 02-13-2005, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Gentleness on springs has to do with ramp rates. The cam with the slowest rates will be more gentle. The 216/220 is on a slow ramp, much less than XE. It is a proven cam, and in the old days, 97/98 LOL, this cam used to be as popular as the TR224 before it came out.
Originally Posted by Grant B
Thanks goes to both PREDATOR-Z & Grant B for posting the EXACT information I was looking for.

This thread wandered a bit, and to get back to base, I still need some information on springs.
There is some confusing information on GM springs out there, and I'd like to clear it up.

WHICH IS THE BETTER SPRING??

12565313 Valve Spring --
LS6 valve spring. Used with P/N 88598606 roller camshaft.
GM PART # 12565313 *
CATEGORY: Engine Valve Spring
PACK QTY: 1 CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $8.61
OUR PRICE: $4.91
DESCRIPTION: SPRING

OR

12565117 Valve Spring --
LS6 valve spring. Used with P/N 12480033 “Gen 3” Hot Cam.
GM PART # 12565117
CATEGORY: Engine Valve Spring
PACK QTY: 1 CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $9.63
OUR PRICE: $5.49
DESCRIPTION: SPRING
These valve springs are intended for heavy duty applications in Gen III Vortec small-block engines. This spring is original equipment in LS6 engines
Old 02-13-2005, 04:35 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

well going by the description the 1256117's appear to be 01 valve springs because thats the the HC comes with. the 12565313 are 02+ which have now been phased out w/ a new pt# for the ls2's.

i still say go custom . i replied on ls2 if you didnt see it already.

Quick Reply: LS6 Springs with this lift?