Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pump/Pressure Question. 20psi at idle

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 10:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98NBM_TransAm
So will this be ok? Camaro99SS, i honestly dont know if it has been replaced, i heard about that problem also, but its been like this for at least 15k (never paid much attention until i heard of the problem) if it was bad do you think it would take over 15k to go out? This may also be a dumb question, but im doing a cam swap soon, can i access the pump while i do that or will i have to remove alot more stuff, possibly pull the motor?
You don't have to pull the motor for any of this, but you need to drop the pan to access the oil pump. What that will require in the way of taking off the front axle, crossmember, I'm not sure as I haven't done this or looked at it close enough to find out. But since you're doing a cam swap, it would be a good idea to change the pump since you have a 98 and aren't sure if the pump's been replaced.

Jason
Old 02-22-2005, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaro99SS
You don't have to pull the motor for any of this, but you need to drop the pan to access the oil pump. What that will require in the way of taking off the front axle, crossmember, I'm not sure as I haven't done this or looked at it close enough to find out. But since you're doing a cam swap, it would be a good idea to change the pump since you have a 98 and aren't sure if the pump's been replaced.

Jason
take off the oil pan what for the pump is in front of the engine turning off the crank all you need to do is take of the front main seal.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:14 PM
TECH Resident

That's news to me. How could you not drop the pan to replace the pump? Either way, I'd still drop the pan just to make sure there is no sludge in there of any kind and maybe check the bearings while i was at it.

Jason
Old 02-22-2005, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My friend and I replaced my oil pump without dropping the pan. You just have to be good with your fingers.

As far as oil pressure, was it always like it is or has it suddenly started running lower?

If my car ALWAYS had 30psi at warm idle, since I had owned it, I wouldn't be too worried about it.

However, if my car ALWAYS had 40psi at warm idle, and all the sudden one morning all I was seeing was 30psi, I would be worried. That was one of the symptoms when I spun a few bearings.

Quick Reply: Oil Pump/Pressure Question. 20psi at idle