Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well, it finally happened... a lifter fell during a cam swap.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 10:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn that sucks!!!!
Old 02-21-2005, 10:27 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I dropped a lifter about 2 weeks ago on a car, WITH rods in the block. Dunno how the **** that happend but it did.....I guess they were too small....

Wound up having to pull the head and LUCKILY fished in through the valey. Fortunately for me, the guy I was doing it for decided to buy some heads from a local place and paid me more money to do the whole shabang. So it worked out..

Good luck Gomer, sometimes it's a "holy ****** **** thank god I got it" kinda deal and other times it's a "HOLY MOTHER ****** **** THIS **** I QUIT TAKE YOUR PIECE OF **** OUT OF MY DRIVEWAY AND TOW IT TO A DEALER" kinda job. Either way, god speed
Old 02-21-2005, 10:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

nothing like a Godspeed on top of every profane word known to man.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:45 PM
11 Second Club

Well, I have the AC compressor, intake, alternator, headers off, oil pan bolts out, and motor mounts loose. I'm taking a refreshment break and then I'm going to try and jack the engine up high enough to slide the motor mount bolts back in and set the engine back down on top of those bolts. I know after I get the oil pan off I'm still going to have hell, cause I tried to turn the engine over by hand and it is "catching" on something.. got to be one of those ******* lifters. I have to be at work in 8 hours, I'm going to try and get this SOB as close to being done as I can.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

Man that sucks. I was scared to death when I did my cam swap. That one minute from the time I slid the old cam out until I slid the new cam in was a hold your breath and hope the Fck nothing bumps the car kind of moment! LOL! I don't think you really need to take the oil pan off. I'm pretty sure you could just drop all the bolts out of it and that would give you about 3/4 of an inch to fish and find the damn thing! Good luck!
Old 02-21-2005, 11:33 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by gomer
UPDATE: That leads me to belive there is something wrong with the plastic retainer that is supposed to hold them.
Are these new lifters? I noticed when I switched to new lifters they were much tighter in the retainer compared to the original ones with 55K miles.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:37 PM
11 Second Club

WOOHOOO.. I got those four bitches out. I jacked the engine up as high as I could get it and the pan still liked about an inch before it would come completely clear. That didn't matter anyways because all four of the lifter were between the crank and the windage tray that is held on by the eight nuts off the main studs. I had enough room to get in there and remove all those nuts, drop the windage tray and stick my hand up in there and get the lifters. That was a super mega bitch. Now I have to stick all that **** back together and start pulling the passenger side head off. Still 7 hours till I have to go to work.. I may beat this bitch yet. Btw, I'm making pics as I go too.. I want to cherish this as a kodak memory.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:42 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Congrats
Old 02-21-2005, 11:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Glad to hear you got it going alright, post up the pics when you get the time!
Old 02-21-2005, 11:47 PM
Launching!

how much wild turkey have you gone through at this point?

btw you're hardcore for drinkin that **** in the first place
Old 02-22-2005, 12:07 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear you're gettin' on top of it. Good luck to ya. Be sure to check the rollers on the lifters that dropped to see if they have been going sideways.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's good news for sure
Old 02-22-2005, 12:30 AM
11 Second Club

I got the oil pump pickup and windage tray back on. I'm calling it a night right here. I'm going to clean up that oil pan gasket tomorrow after work and stick some black RTV on it so that it won't leak after I put it back together. I checked the lifters out and they look fine. The car I'm working on has about 85,000 miles, so maybe those retainers were just wore out. I'll check them out tomorrow when I pull that head. I have a pretty important meeting at work in the morning, so I'm going to take a shower and sleep a few hours. I'll post up some pics when I get to work. Thanks for all the input and support guys.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I have the AC compressor, intake, alternator, headers off, oil pan bolts out, and motor mounts loose. I'm taking a refreshment break and then I'm going to try and jack the engine up high enough to slide the motor mount bolts back in and set the engine back down on top of those bolts. I know after I get the oil pan off I'm still going to have hell, cause I tried to turn the engine over by hand and it is "catching" on something.. got to be one of those ******* lifters. I have to be at work in 8 hours, I'm going to try and get this SOB as close to being done as I can.
damn man you went about this the hard way! long story short, when i had to drop my oil pan during my cam install i just jacked the engine up by the tranny bellhousing after undoing the motor mounts, and unbolted the 6 k member bolts and pulled it down. after a little wiggling i had enough room to get the oil pan out with no problem. i guess this is more for the people who look this up than you, but either way, good luck.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:52 AM
11 Second Club

Damn Gomer that sucks. If you need help call me anytime I will come help.
GrnZ28 on Hsv,bhamfbody My name is Greg number is (256)345-6571.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:24 AM
Restricted User

Glad it is all working out.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:59 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2001 Pewter WS6
Glad it is all working out.
Yep, I slept a few hours last night and I'm going to pull that head tonight. I have some head gaskets at home, but I have to dig around and find bolts for that side. Here are some pics of the windage tray after I got it removed and then the last few pics are with the windage tray reinstalled. The more I thought about it on the way to work today, I just don't see how a lifter could actually get all the way into the bottom of the oil pan itself. The windage tray would catch them every time. I have a couple of more cam swaps to do this week and I'm going to Lowe's and get me some damn rods to stick in there.

Old 02-22-2005, 07:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, for all the work and time you ended up having wrapped up in it you might as well have pulled the kmember and installed ARP rod bolts while you were in there LOL. Glad to hear the disaster was averted.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

LOL!! Awsome pic with the shot glass. My oil pan gasket has leaked ever since I dropped the oil pan. Hopefully your's dosn't. Mine dosn't drip, but you can see where it isn't 100% sealed anymore!
Old 02-22-2005, 06:19 PM
TECH Addict

I bet that is exactly what you would see at F-body Central in MD after hours.

Quick Reply: Well, it finally happened... a lifter fell during a cam swap.