Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newest (Feb 22) oil analysis from my C5 using German Castrol

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

with the longer filter, do i need 6 or 7qts of oil?
Old 02-26-2005, 11:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question

Originally Posted by Patman
The 0w30 flows better in extreme cold, but it's not necessarily the fact that this oil's got the 0w rating which makes it work so well compared to other 5w30 oils. A big part of it is that it's viscosity at 100c is 12.2 cst, versus 10.0 for Mobil 1's 5w30 and 10w30. Most other 5w30 and 10w30 oils out there are also close to 10cst too. This is why this oil would also be better for higher mileage vehicles. That thicker viscosity at operating temp means it will consume less oil and it protects the engine better at higher oil temps. This oil is actually very close to being a 0w40.
ALSO
Originally Posted by Patman
In theory when you've got lower engine wear on your analysis, this means your engine will last longer. By how much, who knows? But I'd definitely rather see the lower numbers! Keep in mind too, that most people on here would probably never wear out their engine no matter what oil they run, since most people don't go more than 100k before getting a different car. But if longevity is your priority, go for the best oil you can find.
Patman,
I could post this kind of question on Bobistheoilguys forum, but since you are an LS1 man & this question concerns LSx engines, I'm asking it here:

Some of us have been using Redline oil for a lot of the reasons you give above on the German Castrol. That is: "thicker viscosity at operating temp means it will consume less oil and it protects the engine better at higher oil temps."
and "if longevity is your priority, go for the best oil you can find"

Right now, I'm using Readline 10w-30 in my '02 LS1. Rather than compare Mobil1 to the Castrol, I'd like to see some comments of Redline vs the German Castrol.

Specifically, it appeared from various written info that the 10w-30 oils were better for the engine longevity than the 5w-30, and the only reason the factory went with 5w-30 was to get the last % available for CAFE numbers, regardless of wear.

Now ppl like you are talking a 0w-30. Canadian winters aside, {as many of us do not see those starting temps, EVER!} has the thinking switched on the 5w vs 10w oils?

Thanks!!
Old 02-26-2005, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be honest, in the warm climates most of you guys live in there will be very little difference in engine wear if you run a 0w30 or 5w30 or 10w30 oil, if they are all of the same brand that is. The 10w30 will flow more than enough on startup to protect you. But once you get into the cooler climates, that is where the 0w and 5w oils protect better.

But the thing with German Castrol 0w30 is that there is no 5w30 or 10w30 version of it, but you can very easily run this viscosity in the hottest weather you'll ever see, as it will protect very well. Some other brands of 0w30 might thin out easily, however this one will not, as you can see by my analysis results. This oil starts out at 12.2 cst at 100c, and after 6100 miles in my car, it was pretty much the same, only thickening very slightly, to 12.4cst. So it's a very shear stable oil.

The articles which wrote that 10w30 oils were better than 5w30 oils for longevity were most likely referring to the fact that the 10w30 dino oils do not thin out as easily as 5w30 dino oils do. Most 5w30 dino oils will turn into 5w20 very easily, thus you sacrifice some engine wear. However with a good synthetic, you don't get this problem.

As far as Redline vs German Castrol, I don't believe I've seen anyone try both of them in the same engine in order to compare which one shows better wear numbers. Based on cost alone I'm shying away from recommending Redline as much, since it costs too much for a lot of people and honestly there are a lot of oils out there which perform very well for less money. I'm not saying Redline isn't good, it's definitely one of the best built oils out there, it's just that my gut feeling tells me German Castrol can outperform it for less money. Up here in Canada it costs over $10 per quart for Redline, and that's when it's on sale! But GC 0w30 is $7 every day, and I just picked some up for $6.29 on sale.

Quick Reply: Newest (Feb 22) oil analysis from my C5 using German Castrol