Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can an engine run without oil pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 12:38 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can an engine run without oil pressure?

Just wondering if this is possible? It seems to be running sort of ok right now. I have some lifter noise at the moment too.

I found it out when the lines to the STS turbo wasn't getting any oil. There should be tons of pressure where they tapped for the turbo's oil, but nothing comes out.

The guage is faulty too, cuz it keeps showing i have normal oil pressure, but lots of things point otherwise....
Old 02-28-2005, 12:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you suspect any type of oil pressure issue, DO NOT start that car. Be on the safe side and get it towed to a speed shop.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:57 AM
Staging Lane

I've been driving it for 3000kms already.

I did get it towed to the engine shop already, but i was just curious if some damage could have occured already?
Old 02-28-2005, 01:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you really dont have oil pressure, and you drove it any distance over a mile probably, there is some damage
Old 02-28-2005, 07:39 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98NBM_TransAm
If you really dont have oil pressure, and you drove it any distance over a mile probably, there is some damage
drive, or even starting the car with no oil preasure will tear stuff up. what did the shop say?
Old 02-28-2005, 09:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

If the car made it 3000 km without locking up, you definately have some oil pressure going through the motor. If you truly had zero pressure the engine would have likely locked in the first mile. Running a turbo without oil pressure will likely kill your turbo. Your motor will still run even if the turbo has seazed, but you wont make any more boost till you get a new one.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
If the car made it 3000 km without locking up, you definately have some oil pressure going through the motor. If you truly had zero pressure the engine would have likely locked in the first mile. Running a turbo without oil pressure will likely kill your turbo. Your motor will still run even if the turbo has seazed, but you wont make any more boost till you get a new one.
Exactly. If you run an engine with no oil pressure, things turn blue and sieze. Definitely wouldnt have made it 3K with no oil pressure.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

What were you thinking to actually drive your car 1800 miles while you believed there was oil pressure!!
Old 02-28-2005, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Is this a joke?
Old 02-28-2005, 12:06 PM
11 & 7 Second Clubs

A few minutes.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Only if your name is Greg Anderson.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by natesiy
I found it out when the lines to the STS turbo wasn't getting any oil. There should be tons of pressure where they tapped for the turbo's oil, but nothing comes out.

The guage...keeps showing i have normal oil pressure

The sts line is tapped at a location between the oil pump and the sending unit for the gauge.

If you are getting oil to the sending unit, but nothing out of the line, then the problem must be where they tapped that plate, or the line must be clogged.

It's unlikely that the gauge/sending unit suddenly quit working properly at the same time the STS was installed.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:08 PM
12 Second Club

Something is wrong with the sending unit, or between that and the gauge, obviously... We tried running a 235 straight 6 in a 69 Chevy truck once without oil, and floored it, maybe only making it a mile, WITH coasting once it kicked a rod and kept running. Flooring it, the engine would only run at about 1000 rpm, while we could watch the rod that wasn't connected to anything, sticking out the side of the block move back and forth until finally it started screeching and eventually stuck. We pulled it apart and had to beat the pistons out of it... The bearings were GONE, the rods were more or less welded to the rods now and the scoring on the main saddles was AMAZING, let alone the debris left in the pan... DO NOT... DO NOT... DO NOT RUN AN ENGINE WITHOUT OIL PSI!
Old 03-01-2005, 04:11 PM
11 & 7 Second Clubs

Originally Posted by KingCrapBox
Only if your name is Greg Anderson.
agreed.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 67Firebird455
Something is wrong with the sending unit, or between that and the gauge, obviously... We tried running a 235 straight 6 in a 69 Chevy truck once without oil, and floored it, maybe only making it a mile, WITH coasting once it kicked a rod and kept running. Flooring it, the engine would only run at about 1000 rpm, while we could watch the rod that wasn't connected to anything, sticking out the side of the block move back and forth until finally it started screeching and eventually stuck. We pulled it apart and had to beat the pistons out of it... The bearings were GONE, the rods were more or less welded to the rods now and the scoring on the main saddles was AMAZING, let alone the debris left in the pan... DO NOT... DO NOT... DO NOT RUN AN ENGINE WITHOUT OIL PSI!
The rods were welded to the rods? I haven't torn down a motor with the rods hanging out the sides,were you going to weld up the windows and rebuild it?
Old 03-02-2005, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98NBM_TransAm

Although I drove my spun rod bearing home 50 miles knocking the whole way and it made it, the short block was trashed though.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
There will be a HUGE restriction on the exhaust if the turbine is siezed up, also in the intake it will be a restriction too.