Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam & CT emissions???

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Cam & CT emissions???

Anyone in CT go through emissions w/ a TR224-112?? I'm thinking about that cam for my 99SS. Completely new to stuff like this...ive searched and found a few posts w/ people suggesting Heads w/ a Cam, and springs and push roads etc etc. Would it be stupid to ONLY do a cam?? Also for you guys not in ct...emissions here is only OBDII so would it even matter if i got tuned and edited after installing a 224-112? Let me know if you need any more info to answer my question.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I passed the old sniffer test with the 224 but on a 114. With the new OBD-II test I dont think it really matters anymore what you get. I dont go through until August or something. I have been though about 5 cams and 4 sets of heads, most of the power increase has come from the cams. Make sure you have the other mods that will compliment it though (long tubes and such). There is nothing wrong in doing cam only IMO.

The tune is the key to passing now.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:11 AM
CT Hotness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm not sure of it and i guess i'll find out with my new setup sooner or later. I'd say jim is right with the tune though, the tune is key. Anyways, i've had friends that have paid off guys to pass them so if worst comes to worst...
Old 03-01-2005, 11:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea i have QTP LT's race style and ORY currently w/ LM catback but might be changing that out. So everything i read about springs and lifters and pushrods i dont need to have? Glad to hear i dont necessarily need heads...i was looking at the packages and a cam is deffinatly in my price range but heads puts it on the "maybe in the future" mod list. lol Any other info much appreciated. I'm dieng to get that awesome idle.

Steph is that the same cam you're getting? I forgot what you said when you told me everything you were getting...
Old 03-01-2005, 11:21 AM
TECH Resident

You will need springs (ti retainers dont hurt either) and hardend pushrods are suggested(I ran that cam on the stock Pushrods but hardned ones are cheap). Your lifters are fine. Many places have a set price for cam/spring changes. I know TTP does it for $350 or something. You might want to look into a pully during the cam swap since you are taking it off anyway.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

I asked my local mechanic here in New York who I dont let touch the car other than inspection. I told him I was due for an inspection and told him I installed a new cam. He asked me two things;
1) what was the lift. I told him .564
2) what was the duration. I told him 224
He said he didnt think it would be a problem.
Time will tell
Old 03-01-2005, 11:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Contact Slowhawk, he did my car over in Seekonk, MA and I am in RI. With the OBDII scan, I don't think it will be an issue, but a noticable lope might set someone off.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:39 AM
TECH Resident

We dont have inspection here. They look for cats (sometimes) and as long there are no codes set off and everything is "ready" in the PCM you are set. When I got my Honda done I asked about this and they said they dont give a crap about lope or anything else. They plug it in and as long as the computer says pass, Pay and get out.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm running an LS1 hot cam in california in my TA, but had it smogged the day before installing the cam just to be safe. I talked with the ref there, he said I could run LT's as long as I had legit o2's and Cats for the test and passed a sniffer. I have heard that with a cam like the TR224 on a 112, or the hot cam, you can still pass CA emissions with full emission systems intact and a good tune for smogging...
Old 03-01-2005, 10:10 PM
CT Hotness

noo the cam i'm going with is a 233/233 duration and a .595/.595 lift i believe so if i pass i bet you will be fine!
Old 03-07-2005, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Another question arises...i was talking to my dad and he recommended i change my rockers as well, do i need to do this? He said that i will "float my lifters" also if i dont get a better fuel pump or change over to "solid lifters". What are your opinions on this? He has a 1980 Corvette Stingray...says they are the same exact thing thats why he recommended this...i wasnt sure if an LS1 was improved from his L98 or L48?? that is in his vette. So far i'm going to be getting the 224-112 w/ hardened pushrods, new springs (dont know what kind though so chime in if u have thoughts on this too) and now i just need your opinions on the new oil pump/solid lifters and rockers? Thanks for any input
Old 03-07-2005, 11:27 AM
TECH Resident

LS1 is COMPLETELY different than his Vette. The LS1 was a complete redesign from the older small blocks. Your rockers are fine, I am using the stockers on a bigger cam as do most people. You fuel system is fine also, the only thing some people upgrade are the injectors but with that cam you will be fine with the stockers. As for springs you can get the comp 918(I believe) but I would call thunder and see what they recommend, you can trust them. Like before keep your old lifters.

Last edited by 9T9BlueTA; 03-07-2005 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Oops...my mistake, i meant to say OIL pump not fuel pump. Thanks for all the other info though, deffinatly helps.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:54 AM
TECH Resident

The oil pump is up to you. Its a good idea to replace it since the 99's did have failures but if it hasnt failed in 6 years you should be good.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Interesting, i just read an article about them failing too...didnt say anything about when though, i'm gonna think about it b/c technically age might be a factor to it failing, is an LS6 ported oil pump good?? Is this something i can do in my garage?? Drop the oil pan and bolt in the new pump? or is it a lot more complicated? I'm not installing my cam due to my lack in experience w/ engine internals so would you recommend i just pay the same guy to do the oil pump at the same time? Thanks again for the help..

P.s...9T9, where abouts in CT are you?? Member at CTFBA??
Old 03-07-2005, 12:51 PM
TECH Resident

They failed becuase of a manafacturing flaw. They would stick open, or closed or something I cant remeber it wasnt about age. Any pump above 2001 is fine, a ported LS6 will do also. You dont drop the oil pan to remove the oil pump, here read up:
http://www.ls1howto.com/
Number 2 on the right hand side list is how to change the cam. Whoever is changing your cam can change the pump at the same time. MAKE SURE THEY PUT IN A NEW O-RING FOR THE PUMP AND DO IT RIGHT!!! major problems if you do that wrong.

I live is West Haven, I dont belong to many F-body groups all my friends drive Mustangs lol.

Last edited by 9T9BlueTA; 03-07-2005 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LOL...i'm 5 minutes away (milford) i hear ya w/ the ford thing though, everyone and their mothers drive mustangs around here. Do you ever go to the Heavenly Donut Car show on sundays? I wouldnt mind takin a look at your set up if your around this summer...thanks again for the help.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:06 PM
TECH Resident

My car was down for most of last year but I do want to make it to Heavenly at some point. I have probably seen your car at some point since I am in Milford alot. I am usually in my Honda Beater though. When the weather gets warmer I am sure you will see\hear me around in Milford at some point and if not we could meet up some place.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm in Stratford. My car passed (look at sig.) Eventhough my car wasn't called I decided to kill 2 birds with one stone when I got the notice for my '95 Jeep. I did drive it around for a while on the Merit first though. My car was tuned by Eastside The one time I went to Heavenly Donuts, I was the only f-body there If you guys plan on going for sure, let me know.

Jim
Old 03-07-2005, 03:45 PM
TECH Resident

I should be all set also when I go, the EFI-live software I have does an ODB-II check like the emissions.
Its good to know that you passed though .

Quick Reply: Cam & CT emissions???