Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome Pics Inspector12!!!

Thanks!
Brad
Old 03-06-2005, 06:13 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Inspector12
I grab off of the bumper support but the core support will work too. I have a Home Depot cart that I modified to let the motor and trany on etc... First few times I used Jacks, but it was not as easy to manuver but the time savings out weights the hasle. I have a few pic also.
i have that blue aluminum jack in the second picture from the right. mine took a crap on me, it got to the point where it wouldnt hold anything up without bleeding down, and the handle was like impossible to turn with a load on it

the only part of it still useable is the removeable handle, it makes a perfect cheater pipe i never felt very safe using it, so i went and got a 3.5 ton all-steel craftsman. it weighs a ton, and takes about 2x the pumps, but its alot safer feeling once somthing is up in the air.

hijack - over
Old 03-06-2005, 06:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Inspector12
1 Hr is all that is needed to drop it out the bottom. No special tools required. Engine hoist two drive on ramps. Look up my past post on this and you will see the pics I've posted.
Good luck.

This IS the way to go. Its great to sit on down on a roll around seat and install parts.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

45-50 mins?? I don't believe it.

That's less time then it takes to R&I an intake. I've done it out the bottom and it probably took 4 hours. Are you guys counting the time it takes to take the interior apart, jack up the rear end, get all of your tools in order and STILL have time to do it without being wreckless? I don't think it's possible.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Tech

That's less time then it takes to R&I an intake. I've done it out the bottom and it probably took 4 hours. Are you guys counting the time it takes to take the interior apart, jack up the rear end, get all of your tools in order and STILL have time to do it without being wreckless? I don't think it's possible.
Do you turn wrenches for a living? Take the interior apart, you mean the pass/side kick panel/ shifter handle ****,etc. Tools in order My friend & I on here(BLKWS6) did our FIRST drop out the bottom with some last minute help from CamminBeaSSt from GMMG and is was 75 minutes from the first turn of a wrench to the assm. sitting on the floor. I know we will have this at 50 minutes to an hour with all the installs we have coming up
Old 03-06-2005, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've done plenty of wrench turning. Not for a living but on nearly every weekend, all weekend.

When I mentioned the interior, I was thinking about the rubber shifter cover (all of those 7-8mm bolts under the leather boot). Now that you mention it, you wouldn't have to remove it. My mistake.

Tools in order, yes. Even at a shop (without a lift), you're going to have to get **** for the job ie: drain pans, engine hoist, jackstands, ramps, misc.

If you count from the first turn of a wrench, 1 hour is feasable. But that's like saying it takes 1 minute to make minute rice. You guys sure make it sound easier then it is (although, it's pretty damn easy compared to doing many things IN the car). It WILL take you 3+ hours from the time the car is turned off if you are careful and meticulous.

Anyway, back on topic.

PS. That's not to imply that minute rice is difficult or time consuming to make.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe it can be done in 45 minutes with air and a hoist. Me and another guy at work have swapped 05 mustang engines and had them running again in just over an hour. But thats with knowing what exact tools are needed. We change Navigator,Expiditions, explorer, Aviators by taking the bodies off. We can have a body off in about 40 minutes.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know I just got done putting the motor back in from the top and from helping a buddy this weekend drop the motor out the bottom I will never remove it or put it back in through the top. it is so much easier putting it back just dropping it instead of pulling the motor out from the top.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ss rally red
Do you turn wrenches for a living? Take the interior apart, you mean the pass/side kick panel/ shifter handle ****,etc. Tools in order My friend & I on here(BLKWS6) did our FIRST drop out the bottom with some last minute help from CamminBeaSSt from GMMG and is was 75 minutes from the first turn of a wrench to the assm. sitting on the floor. I know we will have this at 50 minutes to an hour with all the installs we have coming up
Let me know when the next engine drop is I want to come watch.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:47 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

I know it takes me 45-1Hr frome start to finish. Done it too many times to count.

[QUOTE]i have that blue aluminum jack in the second picture from the right. mine took a crap on me, it got to the point where it wouldnt hold anything up without bleeding down, and the handle was like impossible to turn with a load on it

the only part of it still useable is the removeable handle, it makes a perfect cheater pipe i never felt very safe using it, so i went and got a 3.5 ton all-steel craftsman. it weighs a ton, and takes about 2x the pumps, but its alot safer feeling once somthing is up in the air.[QUOTE]

I have other jack also I know it is not the greatest but it gets under lowered cars real good. Mine is still going strong like the Energizer bunny! All I have ever had to do is tighten the bolts around the handle area.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:12 AM
TECH Regular

To pull it out the bottom, you have to unhook brake lines? I hate cracking a perfectly working fluid system open. So the 1 HR time estimates are including bleeding the brakes?
Old 03-07-2005, 10:22 AM
11 Second Club

I am sure reassembly takes more than an hour.

Brad
Old 03-07-2005, 11:11 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

I am sure reassembly takes more than an hour.
I have done it in less than an hour @50 minutes, but typicly I would say I spend about 1.5-1.75 hrs on the install. I don't want to get to the end and mess up because I want to set a new time record or anything LOL! It all depends on what you are taking off. Bleeding the brakes takes a very short time when you already have the tires off and I use a vacume pump the cheapy form Autozone etc... Takes me about 10 minutes for the brakes. You only have to do the front two.
I hate cracking a perfectly working fluid system open
Well I hate to pull a perfectly good motor also but if you are going to do any major work it is the only way to go IMO.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:21 AM
Staging Lane

Im in the process of pullin my motor out of my wrecked car and which lines on the aluminum brake block in the engine bay do i disconnect?
Old 03-07-2005, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

I pulled mine this weekend out the top

Transmission, Heads and Oil pan were still on the motor when we pulled it, the only thing we really couldn't pull it with is the intake manifold.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:46 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

The brake lines on the anti-lock block are labled just look to the right of each line it will say RF for right front and LF for Left front. One is in the first row and on the right looking from the front of the car and the other is in the far back going into the back side of the block I think it is the one on the right also just double check with the markings. Don't forget to take the heat sheild off and there is one plastic retaining clip that slides off and then you will be able to pull the lines out of the holder.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:32 AM
Teching In

How big of a hoist? (tons) 3
Old 10-07-2010, 09:50 AM
Staging Lane

i think i might try pulling it out the bottom when i pull mine this winter!
Old 10-08-2010, 05:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

On an M6 car is it possible to pull the motor from the top and leave the trans in the car? If it can be done I imagine it will be a challenge to get the motor/trans re-connected when it goes back together.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:04 AM
TECH Resident

Next time, it's out the bottom...

Quick Reply: Pulling an LS1 engine