Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam going in tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 04:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam going in tomorrow

Got the rest of my stuff today, and we are doing the cam swap (tsp 233/239) tomorrow as well as the LS6 intake. Pretty excited to see how it sounds and the gains I'll get.

Thanks to everyone that has helped me with questions getting to this point
Old 03-04-2005, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

Good luck! And take your time with it, you won't be disapointed.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:15 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks, and I know I won't I've heard a lot of vids lately of this cam, and seen some numbers, so I'm excited to have it in the car
Old 03-04-2005, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fad2blk_98
Got the rest of my stuff today, and we are doing the cam swap (tsp 233/239) tomorrow as well as the LS6 intake. Pretty excited to see how it sounds and the gains I'll get.

Thanks to everyone that has helped me with questions getting to this point
Cool, my heads are still about 4 weeks away, I haven't decided on a cam yet, but yours is close to what I'm looking at...maybe F13 or F14 or Comp or...

What springs are you running for the TSP cam?
Old 03-04-2005, 09:28 PM
TECH Resident

Got the doubles from TSP also
Old 03-04-2005, 10:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ssheets
Cool, my heads are still about 4 weeks away, I haven't decided on a cam yet, but yours is close to what I'm looking at...maybe F13 or F14 or Comp or...

What springs are you running for the TSP cam?

futral rocks man... and right now they got a gp on there cams reg. 399, i got mine for 340, 355 shipped to my doorstep.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

nice

keep us posted.......
Old 03-06-2005, 09:12 PM
Teching In

I have the same cam waiting to be installed so very interested in how yours turns out. Keep us posted.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:29 PM
12 Second Club

How did it go bro? Did the spring tool work with the Patriot springs?
Old 03-08-2005, 02:17 AM
11 Second Club

jw which tool were u using with the patriot springs, and also want to know how it went.. i believe i got a larry tool from a member here who said it would work with those springs.. thanks
Old 03-09-2005, 04:15 AM
TECH Resident

Well the cam is in!! The car sounds awesome!! And ran good for the first hour!! Overall the swap went well. Took a little longer then we wanted, but it was a learning process for me and my buddy took some time to explain some things to me. The whole process is not hard at all, just time consuming.

Now back to how it runs. We fired it up and changed the idle like I said. Ran it up and down the street at my friends house a couple of times and it ran great. But, on my way home I had a flashing SES light and it was stuttering due to a misfire. Got it home and actually found that one of the plug wires was not snapped on all the way (duh) So fixed that, but still had the misfire. Checked the rest of the plugs wires and they were fine. So now I am trying to figure out what the problem is before I go to get it tuned on the 15th.

Any ideas would be appreciated that I should check

As for the tool, all I can say is thank you Derek!!!! The Moore tool is simply awesome and saved us TONS of time!!!!!
Old 03-09-2005, 04:19 AM
Banned

Big cams... typically in that range will trigger the random misfire code. Doesn't really mean your car has an actual misfire... its from the lope of the cam. When you get the car tuned a good tuner will edit your values for which that light is triggered... and it will go away. If your car is smooth through the rpm range without you really feeling a misfire.. I would just pass it off as the random misfire code.. nothing to worry about.

Ofcourse.. things to check are always plugs.. wires.. coolant temp sensor... and 02 sensors.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:29 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah, I've read a lot about the misfire caused by large cam, but I can actually feel the misfire and the car is not running good at all. Hardly any power at all in fact

I also just seen about the 02 sensors. I will have to check those I guess since I've already looked at the plugs and wires. Thanks.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:39 AM
Banned

Yeah, I've read a lot about the misfire caused by large cam, but I can actually feel the misfire and the car is not running good at all. Hardly any power at all in fact

I also just seen about the 02 sensors. I will have to check those I guess since I've already looked at the plugs and wires. Thanks.

Easy way to tell if it is the 02's... if it stutters and misfires at about 30% throttle.. below 3k rpms.. but THEN clears up after 3k or if you go WOT.. then it is almost certain that it is the 02's. What exactly are the symptoms of the misfire?
Old 03-09-2005, 04:41 AM
TECH Resident

Pretty much feel it at low RPM's, but I haven't went WOT with it yet since the problems, so I could check that and see if it clears up. It idles fine, can't really tell there is a misfire, low RPM's whole car "stutters" with no power.

Is it common for the 02s to go out with a new cam?
Old 03-09-2005, 04:44 AM
Banned

Pretty much feel it at low RPM's, but I haven't went WOT with it yet since the problems, so I could check that and see if it clears up. It idles fine, can't really tell there is a misfire, low RPM's whole car "stutters" with no power.

Is it common for the 02s to go out with a new cam?
02's are funny little bitches.. they tend to go out at the most in-oppurtune times. What always killed mine was running open headers... or an exhaust leak I had.

Best thing to do.. is take it out tomorrow or sometime... take it above 3k and see if the misfire clears up... or go WOT a few times and see if that also clears it up. If it infact does... then chances are you have a dead or dying 02.. or both of them could be messed up. Go get your codes scanned also and see which one is dying.. I bet we've found your problem.

Now that I think about it.. if you had a plugwire off... then the unburnt fuel that was going through that cylinder might have messed up your 02 sensor on that side... causing the misfire even after you fixed the plug wire issue.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:14 AM
TECH Resident

I will do the test tomorrow and see what it does .. hopefully this is the case and problem solved. I also forget to mention that when it first started acting up every now and then (it was a 45 minute drive home) it would kick and all power would come back. Almost like I was stomping the pedal or hitting nitros LOL

I really appreciate your help! Hope this solves it
Old 03-09-2005, 05:24 AM
Banned

I will do the test tomorrow and see what it does .. hopefully this is the case and problem solved. I also forget to mention that when it first started acting up every now and then (it was a 45 minute drive home) it would kick and all power would come back. Almost like I was stomping the pedal or hitting nitros LOL

I really appreciate your help! Hope this solves it

Its the 02's.... thats the feeling you should get tomorrow. It will suddenly start to cut out and then all the sudden it'll click...full power.. smooth as can be.

02's.. now go get your codes scanned and replace whichever one is the culprit.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:33 AM
TECH Resident

I'll have them checked tomorrow as soon as I can. Although when it would kick like that before it wouldn't stay smooth. It would go back to stuttering, but of course it would be a gear change and low rpms again. Still sound right LOL

I will post an update tomorrow after I get which ever one is bad .. if not both

Thanks!!!
Old 03-09-2005, 06:35 PM
TECH Resident

Ok, well today when I was going to go have it scanned it was running just fine. No stutter or anything. So I didn't go up there. Do you think I should still have it checked or just wait and see what happens before the 15th, which is when it's getting tuned?