Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Perofrmance heads

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 01:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Perofrmance heads

Does anyone know from experience or someone u know, or even a web site that knows if the AFR 225cc heads is as good or better, or even worse than a set of port an polished LS6 heads. Any help would be appreciated. Thanx
Old 03-12-2005, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

Try to do a search. It really depends on who ports the ls6 heads. I got my 225s a while ago, don't have the motor running yet but I am pretty sure they are going to do just fine.

These heads are still pretty new so there won't be tons of dynos with them.....but there will be a few
Old 03-12-2005, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Phynix
Does anyone know from experience or someone u know, or even a web site that knows if the AFR 225cc heads is as good or better, or even worse than a set of port an polished LS6 heads. Any help would be appreciated. Thanx
AFR is a good head for the dollar. The 225 AFR CNC ported head will not flow with an all out ls6 head. But it shines in other areas. Like having a thicker deck for power adders and Out of the box performance etc.
If someone is starting from scratch on a max effort engine (large bore) it would be smart to start with AFR bare casting's simply because of the thicker deck and the cost is very similar. If you already have ls6 heads I would just do them up. In the end both will work very well.

Last edited by BrentB@TEA; 03-13-2005 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-12-2005, 10:42 PM
10 Second Club

Old 03-13-2005, 03:06 PM
Launching!

thankx, I alredy have the afr, and I am going with a large bore, so I guess its time to get them built.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:23 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default AFR 225's....Just bolt them on

I'll bet you guys anything in the next few months you will see out of the box AFR 225's setting new records and raising the bar from stock displacement 346's to big outragous stroker motors....especially on well thought out and executed engine combinations that have the right parts that all work together. My guess is you will see results varying from above average to stellar based on how good the combo is and the quality of the tune as well. Big numbers just don't fall out of a tree...you have to invest the time.

Forget about comparing flow numbers you see on the internet....its a waste of time and energy. The 225's outflow just about anything I've seen and if you guys have learned one thing from the success of the 205's, there's more to making power than huge ports with big peak flow which usually have only fair low and midlift numbers and compromised port velocity.

Give the 225's some time to show their stuff....you won't be disappointed.

JMHO....

Tony M.

PS....The "actual" (not "advertised") low and midlift flow of the 225's are phenominal....NOTHING I have seen on our equipment has come close from .100 to .500 A few of the larger 240cc+ heads have tied it at .550 and one or two have covered the 225 by 5 CFM or so at .600, BUT, the 225's were 10-20 CFM better thru the middle. Thats ALOT of area under the curve....you need a LOT of additional peak flow to try and make that up....don't forget...peak flow is seen once....low and mids are seen twice!

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 03-13-2005 at 11:30 PM.