Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

140,000 miles, should i do mods or new motor???????

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say just mod it until it gives you trouble.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:09 PM
TECH Regular

Go with it!!! Mileage does not mean what it used to. If it has had regular maintenance and runs good mod it till it gives you trouble. My 99' SS has 120K on it. I just put on headers, cam and LS6 intake. I am waiting till spring (MN) for a tune. I expect 350HP plus and plan on putting on 15K this next summer.

I don't plan on going into the shortblock or heads until I need to or get bored.

There are many LS1's running around with high miles. If it was taken care of is the key. 100,000 miles 20 years ago(kiss of death in the mind of everyone) is equal to 200,000 miles today!!

Good Luck!!!
Old 03-17-2005, 08:05 AM
TECH Regular

Ive heard different things about what all i need to along with a big cam. My buddy told me just Isky springs and titanium seats/retainers will be fine.

A shop told me springs and pushrods. Someone here told me to do lifters.

Im starting to think that theres more to installing a cam than its really worth at this point where im at financially. I can easily handle $350-$450 for a cam and i wouldnt mind tackling it myself with a buddy... but springs, retainers, rockers, etc, etc, is pushing it.

Again i want to do it right, but what really needs to be done along with a cam?
Old 03-17-2005, 08:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 240M3SRT
Ive heard different things about what all i need to along with a big cam. My buddy told me just Isky springs and titanium seats/retainers will be fine.

A shop told me springs and pushrods. Someone here told me to do lifters.

Im starting to think that theres more to installing a cam than its really worth at this point where im at financially. I can easily handle $350-$450 for a cam and i wouldnt mind tackling it myself with a buddy... but springs, retainers, rockers, etc, etc, is pushing it.

Again i want to do it right, but what really needs to be done along with a cam?
Depends on how big the cam is. At the minimum I would suggest cam/springs. And if you are doing springs, may as well do retainers, seats, etc. Rockers should be fine unless they are spilling bearings. You can just get them rebuilt and be done with them. I would save up and stick with modding that motor. Test it for us and see how long it lasts with normal driving/track runs.

I just celebrated my cars 100,000 mile anniversary with a cam
Old 03-17-2005, 10:09 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

You will need at a minimum:

Cam
Push rods
Gasket set
Springs
Odds and ends fluids, loctite, Dowl to hold the lifters up

At 140K I would also include:
Timing chain
Ported oil pump

I would also seriously consider:
Lifters. I watched dual springs and a 224 cam KILL 3 lifters on a 60K SS. They just collapsed under the spring pressure from age. We are now pulling the heads to change them and doing S2 ported heads at the same time.

Up to you on the lifters but I think it's a crap shoot not to change them. Just my .02