Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head choice, couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 01:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Head choice, couple questions

Looking for opinion on heads. Thinking of either going with these fully assembled GM Performance CNC LS6 65cc heads.

http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/1979...cc-Chamber.htm

Or the AFR 205 Mongoose 66cc fully assembled.

http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/3583...nder-Heads.htm

Or just getting bare set of LS6 heads and have em ported locally.

The GM ones are nice for the price, I don't really want to spend much more than 2k (wife )

Mods for my SS are TCI 3500 stall, Jethot longtubes, ported TB and a TR 224/563/114 cam.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by EVILFACE
Looking for opinion on heads. Thinking of either going with these fully assembled GM Performance CNC LS6 65cc heads.

http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/1979...cc-Chamber.htm

Or the AFR 205 Mongoose 66cc fully assembled.

http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/3583...nder-Heads.htm

Or just getting bare set of LS6 heads and have em ported locally.

The GM ones are nice for the price, I don't really want to spend much more than 2k (wife )

Mods for my SS are TCI 3500 stall, Jethot longtubes, ported TB and a TR 224/563/114 cam.
Too funny, I'm in the same boat (wife ) I'd love a set of TEAs, but since I'm forced to be budget oriented, I found a set of 5.3s and I'm having them custom ported and re-valved with REV 2.02"/1.55" valves. Fortunetley for me I've got a very close friend that can port heads with the best of them. This is his first set of LS1s though, but he did talk to one of his buddy's that has worked many LS1s. It'll be interesting to see what kind of flow numbers I get. His priorities are the low lift flow numbers as that's were the drivable power comes from. Peak numbers look nice on paper, but don't do much for streetability.

BTW, TEA is getting ready to do a group purchase real soon
Old 03-21-2005, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am running the 65CC LS6 that have been hand polished. On my old motor. I made 390rwhp unlocked with the heads, 228 114lsa, and all the bolt ons. The motor had more than 500 passes at the track and god knows how many times i punched on the street. I love my SDPC heads. Cant beat the price i payed eather. $1200
Old 03-21-2005, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

Who is this TEA?
Old 03-21-2005, 03:25 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Something to think about....

Guys...

When you consider the total cost of doing heads or a heads/cam project (even if you are doing the labor yourself), a few hundred extra spent on a product that consistantly puts up better results is money well spent. Cylinder heads are a long term investment (usually) and a product that can deliver more (albeit at higher cost) should certainly be considered. Lets face it, ultimately you will want MORE power....why not pay a little more up front and know youve bought the BEST product you could have when you decided to spend all that money and time to change the heads and cam anyway. I'm sure not everyone will subscribe to my way of thinking, but to be honest, I use that same philosophy in ANY product that I consider purchasing, whether we are talking about new kitchen appliances or the next "bolt-on" I decide to purchase for my car to try and satisfy the never ending need for speed. I would rather save for a few months longer and know I bought the best product available to me at the time....within reason of course.

Anyway...enough preaching.....I'm outta here!

Tony M.

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 03-21-2005 at 03:31 PM.