Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gm top engine cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default gm top engine cleaner

I am looking to clean the top of my engine with the cleaner. How has everyone done it?? (i have the liquid kind) I have been searching, but there have been know clearly stated way. I have seen going through the TB by taking the pcv valve hose off. Would this be the top one on the TB??? Also should i just hook up some tubing to the TB and put it in the can? or is there a better way??

any help would be appreciated,thanks again

jimmy
Old 03-22-2005, 12:19 PM
TECH Resident

The PCV hose or brake booster hose both would work as the the liquid would go right through the intake valves to the combustion chamber. Just follow the directions and don't let the engine stall while stucking it up.

Jason
Old 03-22-2005, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used the Deep Creep Sea Foam and it was a spray can. I just sprayed it in the TB and held the engine rpm's up so it wouldn't die then let it set for a while then went and drove it.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:57 PM
TECH Resident

I used the brake booster hose when I did it. I let it suck up all the liquid then shut the engine off and let it sit for about 30 minutes. Fired it up and ran it hard. All kinds of crap came out the exhaust. Make sure you change the oil when you're done.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaro99SS
The PCV hose or brake booster hose both would work as the the liquid would go right through the intake valves to the combustion chamber. Just follow the directions and don't let the engine stall while stucking it up.

Jason
that is the top hose on the TB correct? (for the PCV)

and to hold the idle, i just keep my hand on the TB string, and lift as necessary?

thanks
jimmy
Old 03-22-2005, 02:51 PM
TECH Addict

no, the pcv hose actually goes into the neck of the intake manifold directly behind and below the throttle body. heres what u can do: unplug the pcv hose from the intake neck. take off the small hose that goes to the passenger side of the throttle body....unhook from both ends and take the hose completely off. put this small hose into the end of the pcv hose to put in the bowl of cleaner(its easier cuz its smaller and u get more length). suck up about 3/4 of the cleaner....SLOWLY....while holding the throttle open with your hand to keep the car from stalling. then when youre down to the last 1/4 of cleaner, bury the hose in the cleaner so it sucks it up fast and immediately let it kill the car. this step was to suck a lot up at the very end and let it sit...so it can eat off carbon buildup....while the first 3/4 of the cleaner was just burning right through the engine and coming out the exhaust. plug all hoses back in, wait about 30 minutes. restart the car. it may be a lil hard to start at first, so if need be, hold the throttle open while u start it. let it idle for 10-15 minutes. take it for a spin...take it easy for a couple miles....then really "drive" it for a few miles. your car will smoke for a while, so let it smoke til its done. then immediately change the oil and change the spark plugs if u wish. changing plugs isnt a necessity, but its probably a good idea. anyway, this is a killer way to clean the combustion chamber. good luck man
Old 03-22-2005, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks, thats a better explanation
Old 03-22-2005, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

hey buddy, did ya get to do it yet? lemme know how it goes. come back if u have any questions
Old 03-22-2005, 07:38 PM
TECH Regular

Do you guys suggest doing this? My silverado has 130,000 miles...60,000 procharged. If so, what brand should I get and where ( I'm in NJ)?
Old 03-22-2005, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

just go to gm and buy it...its called gm top end cleaner. or u can go to advance auto/autozone and buy seafoam, its pretty much the same stuff. and yes, i would definitely do it if i were u. your pistons probably havent seen your valves for a long time it will do your combustion chamber a lot of good