Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should I RTV bottom of timing cover (99 frc)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should I RTV bottom of timing cover (99 frc)

I just did cam heads and got it all together and i get a leak at the base of the timing cover. i put a small bead of rtv but the 'how to' said run a double bead. Am i a moron for not running a double bead?

how do you seal the base of the timing cover?
Old 03-27-2005, 11:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Bull_in_a_china_shop
I just did cam heads and got it all together and i get a leak at the base of the timing cover. i put a small bead of rtv but the 'how to' said run a double bead. Am i a moron for not running a double bead?

how do you seal the base of the timing cover?
You should use as much RTV as possible. If you've put the car back together, then run a bead along the gap between the timing cover and the oil pan and smooth it out with your finger. Make sure you get the corners too. Give it time to setup.

If you didn't put it back together yet, I would remove the timing cover and reapply two thick beads. I used the Black RTV for mine.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I used a ton. Don't go crazy, but use a lot.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

But not so much that it squeezes into the oil pan. I've torn down a few blown engines with RTV turds stuck to the oil pump pickup from where guys went a little too crazy w/ the stuff.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:26 PM
10 Second Club

They normally leak on the sides of the cover, where it meets the oil pan and the engine block. Seal that area real good and put a bead across the botom and you should be good, done this a number of times. Use the blue silicone, and take it apart and do it right IMO. Also, remember to line up the crank oil seal and tighten the front timing cover bolts, then the bottom or that will leak as well. If you have to gob silicone in there, you didn't do something right!

Dan
Old 03-27-2005, 04:05 PM
10 Second Club

All I did was put a small bead of black RTV in each corner where the oil pan meets the bottom of the block, and I did use the GM cover alighment tool.
No leaks anywhere!

Jimbo
Old 03-27-2005, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

when i did my H/C i l put RTV on the corners of the timing chain cover,no leaks there.but i have a leak at the rear off the oil pan where it meets the block. i had to loosen all the oil pan bolts to drop the pan enough to access the pick-up tube,i guess i should have put some there as well. anyone else have that problem?hopefully i can drop it and put some sealer at the corners and fix it.

Quick Reply: should I RTV bottom of timing cover (99 frc)