Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

forged internals- How much can you do yourself?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default forged internals- How much can you do yourself?

alright, I basically need another project. I was thinking of buying a 6.0L block and building an engine. I know this is a very in depth project, but i would like to do as much as i safely can. I obviously cant do my own machine work, and i cant press in the bearings, but how much of the actual assembly could i do? i dont want to just order a complete engine, but i could if i had to. I did my own cam swap and i thought it was a blast, just looking for something else i can do over time.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:27 PM
10 Second Club

I looked into it as well and it is not recommended you do it yourself. It is better to learn on another cheap engine and if you can learn from someone who builds engines. There is a lot involved. Not saying you couldn't but you shouldn't attempt it till you've built a few smaller easier engines. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:17 AM
TECH Addict

Generally labor costs are not very much having a block built at a shop, i think most shops would rather put it together and send it to you knowing its right rather than having you assemble it without a lot of experience.

For my motor it was pretty much the same price assembled or unassembeled from HPE. They even installed my cam and timing chain for free, only thing I had to bolt on was the oil pump, and thats because they didn't have it when the motor shipped or something like that.