Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dry Sumping

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 04:14 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dry Sumping

Ok, so I know the basics of it. Externally mounted oil pump that provides more vacume and pressure along with a shallower pan to allow better ground clearance, a remotely located tank to better cool the oil, ect. The question is about various stages. The new LS7 uses the 2 stage, lots of NASCAR guys are using 5 and 6 stages. Pro Stockers are probably using the same. Other than a better mouse trap for oiling, and keeping less windage drag on the crank, what other bennifits does this type of oiling system provide? Does more vac. in the motor allow better retention of say power brakes while running a bigger cam? Who out there makes a dry sump for Gen III stuff. I know Moroso makes Gen II stuff, and I know steffs (sp) does dry sump stuff as well. I guess the curiousity is, who, what, where, and how much.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:50 PM
Teching In

Some text on dry sumps:
http://www.drysump.com/drysump.htm

And two pumps with pans:
http://www.drysump.com/ls1-1.htm
http://www.daileyengineering.com

Till
Old 04-05-2005, 12:31 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Cool, thanks for the info, but that still leaves me wondering if anyone has used moroso off the shelf pumps, who else makes a pan or fabbed their own, and how you hook up the system to scavange directly from the lifter galley as well as spray oil directly to the rockers (for cooling top end of the valve train)
Old 04-05-2005, 12:35 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are asking these types of questions, you really should not need a drysump. However, if you raceIf you want a package deal, I can get you everything you will need. Tank, valve covers with rocker spray bars, 2, 3 or 5 stage pump from your choice of manufacturer, tank, and pan. you would be incharge of all the plumbing and mounting, and figuring out if you need to use a motor plate or not
Old 04-05-2005, 01:34 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by Louis
If you are asking these types of questions, you really should not need a drysump. However, if you raceIf you want a package deal, I can get you everything you will need. Tank, valve covers with rocker spray bars, 2, 3 or 5 stage pump from your choice of manufacturer, tank, and pan. you would be incharge of all the plumbing and mounting, and figuring out if you need to use a motor plate or not

In the planning stages website?
Old 04-05-2005, 01:49 PM
TECH Junkie

the only cars ive ever been around with a dry stump are road racers.

if you think about how they go around the track, you see that the oil wouldnt stay at the bottom of the pan... it would go up the side on a hard corner, go forward under braking, and go back under acceleration..... and uncover the pickup.

with the dry stump, it picks up all that oil at the bottom, no problem, and with a full tank of fresh cooled oil, it always has enough to keep a constent pressure... and the tank gives the air a chance to get out of the oil before it gets pumped back into the engine.

the vacuum it creates has nothing to do with power brakes, or anything else hooked to the top-side vacuum of the motor... the vac it pulls is under the pistons.
when you think about it, the reason the piston moves is that the force above it is so much greater then the force below it. you have less airpressure under it, and that pressure for movement is increased.... you also get better ring sealing... or so im told... not sure why they would seal better... i would assume the oppisate, i mean, greater pressure diff... but perhaps its that very diff of air going out that keeps oil from going into the cyl... i donno.
i cant say i have alot of experiance with them though... have you seen the price for the parts? i could build a budget heads/cam LS1 for the price of some of thoes systems..
Old 04-05-2005, 02:01 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
the only cars ive ever been around with a dry stump are road racers.

if you think about how they go around the track, you see that the oil wouldnt stay at the bottom of the pan... it would go up the side on a hard corner, go forward under braking, and go back under acceleration..... and uncover the pickup.

with the dry stump, it picks up all that oil at the bottom, no problem, and with a full tank of fresh cooled oil, it always has enough to keep a constent pressure... and the tank gives the air a chance to get out of the oil before it gets pumped back into the engine.

the vacuum it creates has nothing to do with power brakes, or anything else hooked to the top-side vacuum of the motor... the vac it pulls is under the pistons.
when you think about it, the reason the piston moves is that the force above it is so much greater then the force below it. you have less airpressure under it, and that pressure for movement is increased.... you also get better ring sealing... or so im told... not sure why they would seal better... i would assume the oppisate, i mean, greater pressure diff... but perhaps its that very diff of air going out that keeps oil from going into the cyl... i donno.
i cant say i have alot of experiance with them though... have you seen the price for the parts? i could build a budget heads/cam LS1 for the price of some of thoes systems..

Hits self for vacume comment. Definately shoulda known that, one of those moments. Yes the parts are expensive (definately no where near this stage yet but constantly planning). Considering multipurpose motor ability from drag racing to road racing to autoxing, to one lap of america, to open road racing (silver state classic). Though, with the way the cost of fuel keeps going, this may never come to point.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:26 PM
FormerVendor

Its all custom. No website, and no pictures. Total price would be in the 6-8k range for everything. Again, Its totally unnecessary unless you road race, oil control issues exist, or are going for max power.