PCV mod question

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV mod question

I've performed the mod detailed here:

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=18

My question is: after the modification, the driver's side head cover is completely sealed off. On the passenger's side, the rearward vent tube is plugged. So why is the forward vent tube still used?

See the image here for details:
http://www.ls1howto.com/howto/geniii...kpcvsystem.jpg

Thanks,

-ch
Old 04-06-2005, 03:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

tube going to the t-body is an oil breather line
Old 04-06-2005, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by oange ss
So why were there two breathers on the original system? And what does the plastic part underneath the cover accomplish?

-ch
Old 04-06-2005, 03:43 PM
TECH Junkie

pvc system is used to evacuate blowby gases from the crankcase....oil beather line recircualtes excess breather pressure (along with oil vapor) to the engine to burn it out
Old 04-06-2005, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

This is very helpful, but I'm not sure I've got it clear. So you only need one breather between the two valve covers, right? So why were there two breather tubes on the passenger-side cover, with one of them Y'ed into the PCV line?

I do appreciate the help,

-ch
Old 04-06-2005, 04:36 PM
TECH Junkie

both were being used in the pcv system
Old 04-06-2005, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

both were being used in the pcv system
Sorry to be dense here, but why? Why does the PCV system need a breather tube into the valve cover? Maybe I'm just not understanding what's fundamentally going on here...

-ch
Old 04-06-2005, 05:26 PM
12 Second Club

is the purpose of the PCV system to relieve positive pressure, or to circulate and move the gases that collect?
what would happen if you disconnected all the lines and just put a breather on both valve covers?
what about doing that and leaving the line from tht TB to the valve cover, when the rpms get high would there be enough air flow to push air through that hose and actually put some fresh air into the valve cover, would this be ok?
I want to find some way to get rid of the intake oiler system.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:24 PM
TECH Addict

An "oil breather line"...that would explain why it's main function appears to be to suck oil into the intake...
Old 04-06-2005, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BigSteele
is the purpose of the PCV system to relieve positive pressure, or to circulate and move the gases that collect?
what would happen if you disconnected all the lines and just put a breather on both valve covers?
what about doing that and leaving the line from tht TB to the valve cover, when the rpms get high would there be enough air flow to push air through that hose and actually put some fresh air into the valve cover, would this be ok?
I want to find some way to get rid of the intake oiler system.
Or how about this: how does the crankcase pressure get into the top of the head on the driver's side, but not the passenger's side? I'd love a comple explanation of what's going on there...

-ch
Old 04-06-2005, 08:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by hyperion
Or how about this: how does the crankcase pressure get into the top of the head on the driver's side, but not the passenger's side? I'd love a comple explanation of what's going on there...

-ch
The point behind the PCV system is not to evenly suck out the blowby gasses. The point is to create a vacuum in the crankcase and give the gasses someplace to go. If you have too much blowby for your PCV system to handle, then it is probably time for new rings.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Another_User
The point behind the PCV system is not to evenly suck out the blowby gasses. The point is to create a vacuum in the crankcase and give the gasses someplace to go. If you have too much blowby for your PCV system to handle, then it is probably time for new rings.
Okay, so why is the LS1 PCV system Y'ed into one of the vent tubes on the passenger-side valve cover?

-ch
Old 04-06-2005, 10:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

The pcv needs to be caped off after going to the ls6 cover... only use the one on the valley cover...

The other line on the passenger side cover is not under a vacuum... it's on the air intake side... its place is to pull fresh air in to the crank case...

No oil will come in from that line "the one that runs from the passenger cover to the TB…" cap both breather tubs of the old pcv... rear passenger side and rear driver side.

If you still have problems with it I can take a picture of my system as an example

with this picture cap everything other then the red line to the TB

Last edited by dissonance; 04-06-2005 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:31 PM
TECH Junkie

If you still have problems with it I can take a picture of my system as an example

are you runnin a pcv valve with your set up ?
Old 04-06-2005, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dissonance
The pcv needs to be caped off after going to the ls6 cover... only use the one on the valley cover...

The other line on the passenger side cover is not under a vacuum... it's on the air intake side... its place is to pull fresh air in to the crank case...

No oil will come in from that line "the one that runs from the passenger cover to the TB…" cap both breather tubs of the old pcv... rear passenger side and rear driver side.

with this picture cap everything other then the red line to the TB
Man, my lack of understanding here is painful. Let me see if I can lay it all out.

1) How does the crankcase pressure get up to the driver's side head? I can see how it works with the LS6 valley cover, but not the original LS1 way.

2) The forward tube on the passenger side is an air *intake*, not a vent tube? How does that work? When is there vacuum inside the valve cover?

I feel even more confused!

-ch
Old 04-07-2005, 12:46 AM
12 Second Club

First off let me appologize for not using correct deffenitions.

Originally Posted by hyperion
1) How does the crankcase pressure get up to the driver's side head? I can see how it works with the LS6 valley cover, but not the original LS1 way.
The pressure in the valve covers should be the same as the pressure in the oil pan. There is an open connection between the two through the oil drain journals. Which is how oil poured into your valve covers gets to your oil pan.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:16 AM
12 Second Club

maybe a dumb idea but what about trying to use the AIR pump to periodically pump air into the system (into one valve cover?) and have a breather on a opposite end, wouldnt this take care of "flushing" out the gases .

So if you eliminate the PCV system what are the bad side effects
Old 04-07-2005, 01:17 AM
12 Second Club

why is there pressure in the first place, due to heat? wouldnt the piston movements cancel each other out, what creates the pressure in the crank case?
Old 04-07-2005, 03:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SapphireHawk
First off let me appologize for not using correct deffenitions.

The pressure in the valve covers should be the same as the pressure in the oil pan. There is an open connection between the two through the oil drain journals. Which is how oil poured into your valve covers gets to your oil pan.
Okay, so now I'm getting closer. This is cool. The pressure is the same all around.

So now when you go to the LS6 PCV solution, you use neither the large metal baffle on the driver's side valve cover, nor the plastic baffle on the rearward of the passenger's side valve cover. But why were both of these used in the original LS1 solution? Wouldn't one or the other work fine to vent the crankcase pressure?

Thanks for helping me understand this,

-ch
Old 04-07-2005, 04:59 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BigSteele
maybe a dumb idea but what about trying to use the AIR pump to periodically pump air into the system (into one valve cover?) and have a breather on a opposite end, wouldnt this take care of "flushing" out the gases .

So if you eliminate the PCV system what are the bad side effects
Increasing crankcase pressure like that could cause a horsepower loss. It may even cause issues with your rings seating properly from what I understand. It is a bad idea. If you do not have a PCV system your crankcase may not get rid of all the junk that builds up in there. The worst thing I have seen happen is the inside of your engine will gum up due to moisture getting stuck in there. If you see brownish sludge at your oil filler neck, that is usually caused by moisture in the crankcase.