Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing SLP pulley please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 09:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing SLP pulley please help!!

i have my car ready to install my slp pulley but my one problem is i need the gm tool to reinstall it. i am trying to get this tool right now from a local dealer but they are not sure if they have it or not anyone know were i can get this tool if so please let me know it would be greatfull thanks.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

umm what tool is that...all you need for a pulley sway is a new gm bolt, a 3-arm pulley puller (autozone for free ), and the proper sockets to do it...i think it is a 24mm (6-point) for the crank bolt...you also need a 1/2" drive breaker bar to get enough leverage on the bolt to be able to get it off...mine wasn't difficult at all...then torque everything to spec...so you will need a torque wrench too (autozone for free again)
Old 04-11-2005, 09:31 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 777
umm what tool is that...all you need for a pulley sway is a new gm bolt, a 3-arm pulley puller (autozone for free ), and the proper sockets to do it...i think it is a 24mm (6-point) for the crank bolt...you also need a 1/2" drive breaker bar to get enough leverage on the bolt to be able to get it off...mine wasn't difficult at all...then torque everything to spec...so you will need a torque wrench too (autozone for free again)
i tryed a universal pulley installer but it wont fit in the crank.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Solobarictahoe
i tryed a universal pulley installer but it wont fit in the crank.

thats because noone makes a "universal" pulley installer tool thats the right thread.

you have 3 choices.
  1. get a piece of allthread rod two washers, and a nut.... screw the rod in, put some grease between the two washers, then tighten the nut... this is a "pully install tool"... hardpart is, finding the right thread rod.. its metric and hard to find locally
  2. get a GM bolt that is 1" longer then stock. this bolt will have enough thread engagement to pull the pulley on... this is how 90% of the people here do it..
  3. this is the worst option (IMO) but it works...... sometimes.... just take your old crank bolt, and use it to pull the pully on.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:59 AM
TECH Junkie

heh, might help if i gave you the thread.. lol

the thread is M16 x 2.0 pitch

if you decide to buy a longer crank bolt (method #2 in my list) get one that is 120mm long
Old 04-11-2005, 10:05 AM
Staging Lane

were can i buy a longer bolt at the parts deparment at the dealer?
Old 04-11-2005, 10:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

what is the arp's length?
Old 04-11-2005, 10:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Solobarictahoe
were can i buy a longer bolt at the parts deparment at the dealer?

you can get it from the dealer or NAPA.

i dont know what the GM part number is, but the NAPA part number is: 2801-225
Old 04-11-2005, 10:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the complete Gen III motor tool kit with the correct installer, I live in Northern MA , With the tool its and easy job

Contact me
Bill Salie
Old 04-11-2005, 12:14 PM
11 Second Club

I do not like to pull much on the inside threads of the crank I get two bolts with same thread as crank weld them head to head screw it tight into crank then slide a socket over then ( one that just go inside of pulley to align pulley) then use a big washer and nut on the free end of welded unit to pull pulley onto crank this way is easy on the inside threads of crank I also like to change the front seal while pulley is off

Home make a tool to hold crank to allow tighten pulley bolt, insert the tool into flywheel , remove round plug ( about 2-3 inch dia. ) on bottom of of flywheel cover to insert tool
make tool useing flat bar about 12-14 in long
1/4 x 2 x 14 ( notch in the side will allow the tool to hold itself in place by cetching on side of hole)

botton out pullet flush with end of crank with old bolt ,install new bolt torque to 37 lb then pull another 120 degrees if you do not have a compass to get the right degrees ( stop and think ) mark the bolt at 180 degrees and at 90 degrees then mark 1/2 between the two marks which i think will be about 135 degrees so you may go eather 140 degrees or 120 degrees from there ,

sorry do not think the picture of tool will show correct it should be about 2 in wide all way down

/\/\/\/\/\/\
| |
| |
| |
| <
| |
| |
| |

Last edited by SS SLP2; 04-11-2005 at 12:22 PM.