Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mysterious Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 08:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mysterious Oil Leak

It never fails. I just moved into a brand new house this last weekend and I come in after having gone to a friends house and see a few little oil spots on the garage floor. I back the car up and I have about a dime size spot on the floor that is jet black. I get some on my finger and it has no odor or smell to it at all. My oil was just changed 500 miles ago and I looked at it on the dipstick and it is much cleaner than what's on the floor.

I got under there and have no idea where it's coming from. It's about in line with the passenger side foglight and about a foot and a half back from the front of the car. Anyone have any idea where this can be coming from? I really hate leaking on the floor of the brand new garage and I can't believe a car with only 50k miles is already doing this. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-12-2005, 09:22 AM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

maybe just some **** that got up into the front end? maybe REAL old coolant thats burned beyond recognition dumped out the spillway in the reservoir? Hmm I dunno man, but I hope you find out. I hate those unidentifiable irritating drips!!

IS it oil?

brad
Old 04-12-2005, 09:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Maybe its your rack and pinion leaking . Mine leaks . I looked under the car after the motor install and about 1K miles of driving it looked like an oil slick . Turned out it was the rack .
Old 04-12-2005, 10:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm about 99% sure it is NOT oil. It's way too black for what's in the car now and it has no odor to it at all. I'm thinking its the steering rack. Thanks for the help guys. If anyone else has any more info, please post. Thanks.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Trent
I'm about 99% sure it is NOT oil. It's way too black for what's in the car now and it has no odor to it at all. I'm thinking its the steering rack. Thanks for the help guys. If anyone else has any more info, please post. Thanks.

Yep , mine has no odor either . I would drain the reservoir and put in a can of stop leak . I got a can , I just need to go out and do it !
Old 04-12-2005, 10:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1999T/A
Yep , mine has no odor either . I would drain the reservoir and put in a can of stop leak . I got a can , I just need to go out and do it !
Any info on the process to do that? I'd like to keep this new garage as clean as possible
Old 04-12-2005, 11:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Any info on the process to do that? I'd like to keep this new garage as clean as possible

Yeah you can see the line on the back right side of the reservoir . Its got a clamp on it . remove the clamp and walk the hose off . Its gonna drain quickly so have a funnel with a long tube on the end of it going to a drain pan . A tranny fluid funnel is perfect for this . Put the hose back on after draining then fill it up with the stop leak .
Old 04-12-2005, 11:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure you verify the leak is actually coming from the steering rack (it could be lines/connections also). I don't think the fluid should be black, unless it's contaminated by other dirt/grease from inside the rack boot. Possibly there is some old residual fluid/gunk inside one of the boots from a very minor leak, and it's just coming out now due to the car being parked at a different angle. I've seen this before, and since you said you're in a new house, I just thought about that.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1999T/A
Yeah you can see the line on the back right side of the reservoir . Its got a clamp on it . remove the clamp and walk the hose off . Its gonna drain quickly so have a funnel with a long tube on the end of it going to a drain pan . A tranny fluid funnel is perfect for this . Put the hose back on after draining then fill it up with the stop leak .
So put no PS fluid back in at all? Just stop leak? How much of this stuff should the reservoir take?
Old 04-12-2005, 11:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

So put no PS fluid back in at all? Just stop leak? How much of this stuff should the reservoir take?

The bottle says to pour the entire contents in the reservoir . Its got PS fluid in it too , plus conditioners and **** for the seals . I would check it after I did the procedure and add PS fluid if it needed some . It is also supposed to help the PS system run cooler . We all know that the PS systems in these cars like to run hot and boil out the top of the reservoir on occasion . And yes , check real good around where the PS lines connect to the rack . Mine is leaking around the seal in the boot . I might have to replace the rack on mine .