Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lme 408

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 10:30 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lme 408

Well my motor shipped today! Bryan at LME was such a help. I sent him set of heads that Allan at FMS had flowed to put on my shortblock. Bryan right away found problems with the heads. These were suppose to be ARE stage 3 LS6 heads. Suppose to be perfect in condition 1000 miles on them.Sold my MINTY!! Heads were Junk! Valve job was one of the worst LME has seen. Valve pockets were only opened up to a 2.04 with a 2.10 valve?? Solid roller springs were not seating level on the heads. Only half of the spring was resting on the head. Valve guides were stock, bored out to fit the larger sized valves!!! Heads were suppose to flow 328cfm flowed 302cfm! LME did a valve job and cleaned up the valve pockets and picked it back up to 324cfm . Heads were suppose to be 61.5cc chambers they were 51cc. So LME had to cut the pistons down to get the compression in check. They replaced the spring dampeners that were worn from the springs rubbing from not sitting straight! Thank god they just didn't throw the parts on that I sent them. I can't wait to get the motor. I should have it Monday. THANKS AGAIN LME. What a great compnay to deal with. I can't wait to get it on the dyno and then to the track.

Last edited by LASTLS1; 04-14-2005 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

good choice

now they can get to working on my 408 :rofl:
Old 04-21-2005, 12:52 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I seem to be a very late in the conversation about LASTLS1's cyl. heads, but I would just like to shed some light on the initial condition of the heads in question. Im sorry to bring up an old thread. However the services that LME performed were being questioned and I wanted to tell LME's side of the story. I don't know the arrangements made before the deal. However I do know the cylinder heads did need some close attention before they were ready to go. Before the cyl. heads arrived at the shop (LME), My customer LASTLS1 informed me that the heads he was sending were in good running condition and had a combustion chamber size of 62cc. They were 53cc. At fist glance one head had a glob of weld that was protruding into the chamber from a previous repair.. Not too bad, easily ground out. I only saw the issue with the springs when I went to check for spring pressure and coil bind. The heads were not broke thru into the intake ports. At one time the spring pockets were cut to deep. As you guys know the int. roof of the LS6 casting is pretty thin to began with. The heads were previously welded up just fine. However the int. spring pockets were not sufficiently clearance for the spring. Causing the spring to not sit flat on the locator. Portions of the int. springs were riding on aluminum. The inner, outer and dampener were rubbing together enough that I replaced two dampeners that were rattling around in the spring. When you are running a spring that will see 270+ duration @ .050, with a fair amount of lift, the last thing you want is excessive friction between the inner and outer spring. Spring life will certainly diminish and familiar is a concern. The o.d. of the valve seat was 2.040". The valves are 2.100" There was aprox. .025" of valve face to seat contact on the very inside of the valve. For the power that LASTLS1 was shooting for. The valve job was not going to cut it! The valve job was done and blended into the port work. We realized aprox. 15cfm through the range before and after. Not to split hairs but only one of the push rod holes was not clearance. All the others were opened up pretty good. I imagine there was a push rod clearance issue when it was last run.

When I started to mess with these heads my only intension was to find if the were going to work with the cam he was running. If the heads were in great shape I would have put them on the motor in a heart beat. They weren't, so I did what was necessary to make them reliable and perform the way they were supposed to. It seamed to me the person that previously worked on the heads is negligible for sending them out. Not necessarily the person selling. (Again I have no clue about what was specified in the original deal) The original product was probably pretty nice. Sorry this was so long...

All and all the motor should haul ***! and stay together too!!

Thank you,
Bryan Neelen
LME
713-849-4505
Old 04-21-2005, 11:10 AM
6 Second Club Moderator

These heads he's speaking of are the ones MINTY sold me! The post in member feedback section was deleted???? Everyone wanted proof there it is. I didn't want to bother LME but he saw the psot and replied on his own. THANKS! Admins must not want members to know about bad sellers?? The thread was list (Minty sells junk.) Anyways the motor looks GREAT! Thanks Bryan and LME for repairing all my problems, and keeping me updated along the way. I hope to have it in by the weekend. Then I'll be off to Speed Inc. DYNO TIME!
Old 04-23-2005, 12:28 AM
RMB
On The Tree

So What Ever Happened About The Intake Not Fitting With Proper Clearance?
Old 04-23-2005, 09:05 AM
6 Second Club Moderator

Originally Posted by RMB
So What Ever Happened About The Intake Not Fitting With Proper Clearance?
I have to grind down the bosses that go into the heads. Then I have to check the ports to see if they still line up. I stinks my business is super busy right now and I'm in the middle of moving, I just bought a new house! I hope to have some time to wrench this weekend. Having the motor in hand is killing me. But with snow in the forcast for today it's not as bad.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:11 AM
7 Second Club

Anyone know when these heads originally shipped from ARE.A shipping date would be very informative.