Sponsored by:

DIY Head Porting: How to shape around valve guides, swirl ramp, and blend seats

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by M6HuggerSS
here are some pics
I would really like to know who did these heads and what kind of results were had. Notice the floor raised a ton and the port widened to look more like a c5-r/ls7 head.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DAPSUPRSLO
I would really like to know who did these heads and what kind of results were had. Notice the floor raised a ton and the port widened to look more like a c5-r/ls7 head.
These belong to a local guy in Tampa. A guy that works or worked at TEA did them. Go here if ported LS1 heads get you stiff. Bring a towel!
http://www.tamparacing.com/forums/sh...ighlight=heads
Old 04-19-2005, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep, thats them!

i think they were $3500..... not sure

damn nice looking heads.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

96 Comp, thanks! Those are some of the best high-res pics of a ported head I have ever seen! I wonder how much of that design can be used on a 241 (01+ LS1) casting? They trimmed alot of material from around the valve guide and shaped it nicely. Thanks again for the link with those pics!

Thanks to everyone else that responded also. That was a great compilation of head porting threads on the previous page! Keep the pics and info/theory coming if you got it!
Old 04-20-2005, 08:35 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Most of the heads here are big enough for 900hp cars.There is no point running heads that big unless you are FI.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

What will happen with too large of heads, loss of low end torque? What do you mean by too large? Ports are too large?
Old 04-21-2005, 01:15 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2K2LS1
Swirl ramp

To take it out or not to? From what i've gathered it is there to create the turbulence necessary for low end torque. Is this right? Some take it out completely and have good peak results, some take about half of it out, and some leave it alone. After reading J-rod's timing thread, i'm wondering if the swirl ramp is necessary for proper high velocity in the combustion process to combat detonation. It could be there for a reason, to get the mixture to go to a certain area in the chamber? What do you guys think? Take it out or not? If some people take it out completely, there can't be a water passage under there right?

Thanks
I ported my own 241 castings. I didn't have time to have them tested, and I did a cam upgrade at the same time. But I'm happy with my dyno results.

I say take out the swirl ramps. I took out most, but left a little because I didn't want to break through. I suspect they are there more for part throttle economy and emissions than for max power output operation.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:08 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

heres the original thread on those raised runner TEA heads

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/177448-my-new-tea-raised-runner-heads-pics-inside-not-dial-up-freindly.html
Old 04-21-2005, 09:59 AM
TECH Addict

I have ported all kinds of LS1 heads and you can take the ramp out all the way on all of them, 241 included. Take the knot out were the rocker bolt is and reshape the guide bosses on intake and exhaust but be careful were the bump is on the exhaust side- it is there for coolant passage clearance and should only be blended into the roof of the port and no further. Do not touch the floor on either ports just sandpaper roll em. Hope you get the gains you are lookin for
Old 04-21-2005, 12:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bo White
I have ported all kinds of LS1 heads and you can take the ramp out all the way on all of them, 241 included.
Do you mean you "can" take them out, without going thru.... Or are you reccomending that they actually be taken out? What do you do? What do other popular vendors do? What are the negative effects?

Thanks
Old 04-21-2005, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

I do take the ramp out:
Also here is a cutaway and drawing of roof shape that I was talkin about:
Attached Thumbnails DIY Head Porting:  How to shape around valve guides, swirl ramp, and blend seats-ls1-i.p.2.jpg   DIY Head Porting:  How to shape around valve guides, swirl ramp, and blend seats-exhaust-cutaway.jpg  
Old 09-02-2012, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the stud lump and the ramp out. dot forget to look at the short turn radius.

Quick Reply: DIY Head Porting: How to shape around valve guides, swirl ramp, and blend seats