Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New tranny, now other issues!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 06:47 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New tranny, now other issues!

Great, it figures that I get the tranny replaced and run into something else Anyway, the car has a slight studder/shake at idle and the only way I can describe it is that the motor looks a little "jumpy" I know LS1's idle a little low and that makes them run a tad rough at idle,but I have a bigger problem. When I am driving around, the car will "stumble" or shake at 950 to 1100 RPM's if I am light on the throttle. If I floor it, or if I am at ANY other RPM, there is no stumble and the car is smooth as silk. The car does it when in gear or out of gear and it does it regardless of if I am accelerating or slowing down. When I hit 950-1,100 Rpm's, the car will stumble, unless I am flooring it, in which case it either doesn't stumble, or I fly by 1,100 RPM's so fast that I don't notice. Does this sound like plugs/wires? or does it sound like something mechanical? The current plugs and wires are about a year old. Thanks guys!
Old 04-20-2005, 07:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

are you an a4 or a m6?
if a4, check your torque converter
Old 04-20-2005, 09:58 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by firechicken2k
are you an a4 or a m6?
if a4, check your torque converter
Sorry, I forgot my sig doesn't show up! It's a 1998 Z28 A4. The stall is used less than 3 months and was working perfectly when we pulled it out. I checked to the converter bolts and they are all in there and torqued correctly. The new stall is an 8" and the old one was a 12" and the new one weighs about 10 pounds less. I had my computer tuned for a Yank 3200 stall, but when the tranny went south, I bought a beefed up A4 with a TCI 4,000 stall. I am HOPING that it's a tuning issue, but I am pulling my plugs and wires just to double-check......
Old 04-21-2005, 05:49 AM
12 Second Club

Well, I hit it pretty hard from a roll yesterday and got some pretty bad backfires along with the stumble. The SES light came on and I was like THANK GOD, maybe I could now see what the problem is! Well, the code was a P0153 (bank 1, O2 1 low voltage). So I changed the driver's side O2 sensor. The SES light went away, but the stumble is still there. I did pull #1 and #2 plugs and they looked fine. Any ideas what to check next? Should I pull all the plugs and check them? I am also getting what sounds like a VERY light ticking sound coming from the motor. I thought is was injectors, but with this stumble now, I'm not so sure......The pushrods were replaced about 2,000 miles ago with used pushrods, but I have hit the rev limiter a few times since I put them in. I was bouncing off in my A4 because the tranny wouldn't shift....