Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comprestion Ratio

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cal
Well I have a good welder for welding aluminum, but I'm a pretty shitty porter! However, I'm trying to improve.

What general areas in the combustion chamber would be best for depositing some aditional metal? I assume away from the valves to avoid blocking flow. I need some more compression, but I would rather not mill the heads.
Near the Spark Plug hole area is where I would put it, but as most would tell you I'm a lil crazy. If you and your welder know what you're doing you could reshape the chamber for a little more power, and flame.

Old 04-24-2005, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

and No that's not the finished product that was just a test head guys lol.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:41 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like you filled it right up, must be planning on a total re-shape. Anyway, thanks for the info; next time I have the heads off I'll try laying down some aluminum around the spark plug hole.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have a pic of a finished product? Mustangeater? Thanks guys, this is interesting!
Old 04-24-2005, 09:40 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

I agree very interesting! A picture of the finished product would be excellent!
Old 04-25-2005, 12:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes defenently interested in your chamber design.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:04 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

No help on chamber designs? I'm ready to fire up the MIG welder!
Old 04-27-2005, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry guys, no pics of the finished product yet, I'll let you guys know as soon as I can.

Before cutting up your stock heads there are a couple good alternatives 1) All Pro's, 2) the ET Performance castings that are coming out

Floyd.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cal, I wouldnt run off and fire that thing up just yet. Going in and welding heads for compression takes a ton of skill and know how. Otherwise your playing with fire. If you didnt get a solid weld in any of those points, chances are your going to have chuncks of it floating around in the cyl. once it gets hot enough. Welding chambers is something probably left up to a pro.

For anyone that is looking for more compression with a reletively stock or slightly modded motor the best way is just mill the heads and/or run a thinner gasket. Only downside to milling the heads is that you start running in to the already discussed P2V issues.

Anyone that is serious about getting big compression is more than likely going to have aftermarket pistons to allow for the high compression and still be able to run the fat cam. For 99% of the applications on this board, more compression isnt needed. You can make it up in other areas. Once you start getting into higher compression you need to worry about fuel. All it takes is one bad fill of **** gas and your car will run like crap. Especially if you live in an area that has alot of summer heat and you spend alot of time on the road.

You wont see alot (if any) gains going from 10.8:1 to 11.0 (if you do they will be minimal at best). General rule of thumb I have always used and alot of race engine builders use is for every full point of compression you pick up about 15rwhp. So going from 10.8 to 11.2 or 11.5 your only going to pick up power that could have been made by a good tune or by a cheap (sometimes not so cheap) bolt on.

My new motor is going to make 14.0:1 on a 347ci N/A motor. Heads milled .030, GM graphite gasket, 57cc chamber, Diamond +10cc domed piston with 2cc reliefs. Because of this I will no longer be able to run down to local skivron and pick up a tank of 92-93. It will be on a strict diet of Sonoco 114. Street driving will be borderline out of the question with the boom tube and this much compression (not to mention the cam ). Its going to be a pain in the ***, but this bitch is gonna be FAST
Old 04-27-2005, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why did you pick domes over smaller chambers?
Old 04-27-2005, 06:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MUSTANGEATER
Why did you pick domes over smaller chambers?
I originally wanted smaller chambers but dont trust any of the local shops to do what you are doing. Flat tops are really the best route to go. Budget played a big factor in it. Having a skilled person go in and fill chambers costs $$$$$, and my supply of that is running short. I will be having a flame channel cut in the piston to help with flame probogation though.

The C5R heads would be perfect for what I need but require to much other custom crap that I dont want to mess with. Custom intake, headers etc.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hear ya about the cost. I've barely even gotten into the motor part of my deal and it's hurtin lol We've got a similar combo though Small Cubes, N/A, Good Compression etc... The flame channel was a great idea btw.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:15 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

I'm pretty confident about my welding abilities, and my cam doesn't allow any extra P2V for milling the heads. I also don't like how milling heads throws off the valvetrain geometry and intake manifold fit. I'm running a cam with about 12 degrees of overlap but still have stock compression, so it would seem appropiate to raise the compression some. Some domed pistons are a good idea, but I assume that could be a pricey option. Maybe I'll have to use my old motorcycle as a guinea pig to see how good I am at welding up chambers.