Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFRs *arent* the only game in town, it seems...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

Location: sojourning....looking for my city whose builder and maker is God.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KingCrapBox
That was actually me on Mike's name. Whoopsies.

Your comment about the flow numbers 'panning out' was uncalled for. That's why your attitude sucks.
Sounds like a joke to me. Fishing.........looks tasty......then to the "independent" pan.

BTW those flow numbers are awesome! Will look forward to seeing the dyno charts and or track times with your setup!
Old 04-26-2005, 07:05 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

These 2 heads are made for 2 different app's I've used both and like 1 alot more than the other
Old 04-26-2005, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
These 2 heads are made for 2 different app's I've used both and like 1 alot more than the other
I agree it is not a fair comparison. I wouldn't compare a head flowed on a 4.030 inch bore to a head flowed on a 4.125. I have some AFR 225 numbers at work flowed on a 3.9 , 4.030 and a 4.125 bore. But still not fair considering they only have a 2.08 valve.
The AFR 225 flows well and is a very good cylinder head. We sell them (unported by us) and I am impressed with them. We also have our own 225 program we use on them. I have recommended them many times untouched from AFR for some apps. (225)
Our advantage is we can custom spec out a cylinder head per the app. We have several different chamber programs we can use as well as several different port designs depending on CI and application. We can also do something by hand if needed.
Chris heads were special. Something we had never tried before. And we were lucky enough to be able to do some big bore heads.
I am sure they are going to make him a ton of power.
They are killer heads. The midlift flow is amazing. I expect him to pick up at least 40 rwhp over his current "big valve ported LS6 heads" maybe more.

Last edited by BrentB@TEA; 04-26-2005 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JZ'sTA
And after having awsome heads, still has time to come on here and post.
This is what seperates TEA and AFR from everyone else.
Both do awsome quality work and the owners come on to help pimp their company.
I enjoy coming on the net and talking about our product. I have to have one of the best jobs in the world. But I am sure I do not own TEA thanks anyways.
I am sure Tony and feel the same way. When you believe in the product you are selling they will sell themselves.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BrentB@TEA
at least 40 rwhp over his current "big valve ported LS6 heads" maybe more.
I think 40rwhp would make me cry tears of joy.

Hell, 20 would get me excited enough. When you are driving around in a 387 that only makes < 440 rwhp and hasnt stopped burning oil severely since the first "big bore block", you can only go up. Ive got a TPiS Oval intake/TB I'd like to get 10rwhp out of too... and this HPTuners has recently allowed me to make this car almost as drivable as when it was stock. Unfortunately it does require I buy another set of $185 Cometic head gaskets.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by KingCrapBox
That was actually me on Mike's name. Whoopsies.

Your comment about the flow numbers 'panning out' was uncalled for. That's why your attitude sucks.
Tony,
Your comedy sucks!
Keep your day job!

KingCrapBox,
Your attitude sucks!
Must be some anti-AFR/Tony additive in the water down in Texas.

Visceral,

Great heads! Congrats! Keep us updated on how they flow/run. I'm sure they will be awesome. Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-27-2005, 12:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Your going to love those heads. You are in the same boat I was. I had an underachieving 385 ci that made a best of 430 rwhp with a 236/242 cam and LS6 intake and ARE heads. I swapped to some TEA stage 3 LS6 heads that flowed similair to yours along with FAST 90 mm stuff and a large SR cam and picked up nearly 100 HP (522 rwhp). I wasnt able to finish tuning due to some shortblock issues. Im sure we could have squeezed out another 15-20 rwhp easy.

Good luck with them..im sure youll be happy with the outcome.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW! nice #'s
Old 04-27-2005, 03:19 AM
jmX
TECH Junkie

Congrats on the purchase Chris. You know, you have my # so you can call me and exclaim "224 at .300!" whenever you need.

Hope this wakes that 387 up a bit!
Old 04-27-2005, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmX
Congrats on the purchase Chris. You know, you have my # so you can call me and exclaim "224 at .300!" whenever you need.

Hope this wakes that 387 up a bit!
I think I've lost/killed two or three cell phone since I called you last... and so I actually don't have your # anymore
And I *do* need to call you....
I'll be in Houston this weekend (Thurs-Monday)... Ive got to do H/C/H on the Father-in-law's C5.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Those are some great flow numbers!! One thing other people might want to take into consideration, besides the price of the TEA and AFR heads is that the TEA heads have no more room to grow once you bolt them on whereas the AFR's are box stock castings that can still be hogged out like TEA did with this particular head. Brent do you have any flow numbers from your bench of your ported LS6 heads vs. a set of ported 205's or 225's?? I'd be curious to see how they perform on the same bench. Basically the AFR heads are more compareable to a stock LS6 casting in the sense that neither have been touched in any way and still have plenty of material to be removed for porting.

-Sly
Old 04-27-2005, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slyws6
Those are some great flow numbers!!
Thanks I agree

One thing other people might want to take into consideration, besides the price of the TEA and AFR heads is that the TEA heads have no more room to grow once you bolt them on whereas the AFR's are box stock castings that can still be hogged out like TEA did with this particular head.
The head in question is not "hogged out" It comes in 6CC's larger than a Fully CNC Ported AFR225.
It is also not really a box stock head when you consider it is fully CNC Ported.

Brent do you have any flow numbers from your bench of your ported LS6 heads vs. a set of ported 205's or 225's?? I'd be curious to see how they perform on the same bench.
Look in the Sponsor sales section. I posted 205 numbers compared to our 5.3 stg1.5 rev2 port.

Basically the AFR heads are more compareable to a stock LS6 casting in the sense that neither have been touched in any way and still have plenty of material to be removed for porting.

-Sly
Our ported LS6 heads are better than our 5.3 heads and our 6.0l heads. We also pick up gains about everyday around here testing different ports and valve jobs etc. These heads still have room for material removal. But we try to only remove as much as we can!
IMO the AFR heads are a fully ported head. So they have been touched.
Do not get me wrong. I think the AFR LS1 head is a great head. I sell them CNC ported here. and I sell them CNC Ported from AFR. If we did not think they were a great product we wouldn't sell them
Old 04-27-2005, 02:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

<snip>
Our advantage is we can custom spec out a cylinder head per the app.
Kinda like a true "custom" camshaft??

Just had to throw that in...

Ed
Old 04-27-2005, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EDC
Kinda like a true "custom" camshaft??

Just had to throw that in...

Ed
exactly!
Old 04-27-2005, 02:21 PM
Teching In

I'll put in my .02. I don't think flow numbers are "everything". I've dyno tested heads that had equal or even better flow numbers and made better power with the AFR 205. The reason, I believe, is the combustion chamber shape. I can always add more timing and run an AFR head leaner just because of the chamber shape.
I have a set of AFR heads with a 242CC port, 2.100 valve and a chamber that is shaped more like the 205 head. It made a 40 HP difference on my 427 over a ported LS6 head that flowed almost as well.
This was with a cam of only .600 lift. These heads flow much better all the way up to .700. I'm putting in a .680 solid in a 441 CID motor to take advantage of the high lift flow numbers.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Andy@AandACorvette
I'll put in my .02. I don't think flow numbers are "everything". I've dyno tested heads that had equal or even better flow numbers and made better power with the AFR 205. The reason, I believe, is the combustion chamber shape. I can always add more timing and run an AFR head leaner just because of the chamber shape.
I have a set of AFR heads with a 242CC port, 2.100 valve and a chamber that is shaped more like the 205 head. It made a 40 HP difference on my 427 over a ported LS6 head that flowed almost as well.
This was with a cam of only .600 lift. These heads flow much better all the way up to .700. I'm putting in a .680 solid in a 441 CID motor to take advantage of the high lift flow numbers.
A head that needs more timing is not a good thing.
I think the reason most have been able to run an AFR head leaner without detonation is the fact the most are setting the quench much tighter on the AFR heads than they have in the past on LSx style heads.
As far as the AFR vs the LS6 I would have to compare the flow numbers to see what you mean by almost as much.

The 441 engine sounds like it will make killer power.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

I have to say Brent, I was pretty impressed with your work on my heads, but seeing these numbers makes me all the more confident in TEA. And I thought my Stage 3 Judson heads were making killer numbers...

Let me also say, I am really pleased to see that you are so open to criticism on your heads as compared to alot of the other sponsors that start and all out flame war when mentioned. Things like that put TEA at the top of my list
Old 04-27-2005, 03:59 PM
10 Second Club

wow, very impressive. and I don't say that often
Old 04-27-2005, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not alltogether odd that my current crap heads take 30 deg. with ease
Old 05-05-2005, 09:25 AM
11 Second Club

"Needs"?
you'll have to forgive me on this one(oldschool gear head here) when is being ABLE to run more timing a bad thing?

last time i checked being able to run more timing advance was a good thing...
things might have changed and i am always up for learning something new things. (another words i'm not bashing, just confused by this statement.)

if i can run more timing advance, then i should be building cyliner pressure faster, and as long as my heads can support that on the exhast side then i should be making more power.... is this totally off?