Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Chain Or Oil Pump Removal For Cam Swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 02:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

For the pump tube and O-ring, I unbolted the oil pan, be able to drop it ~ 3/4 inch and that gave me easier access and visibility to the tube.
Worked like a charm.
The only thing I wished I had done is use that chance to replace the rod bolts with Katech bolts and my shortblock wouldn't have grenaded (rod bolt failure after many 200 dry shot passes)
Old 05-06-2005, 11:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 0rion
This is actually a pretty informative thread. I'm working up towards my cam swap sometime this summer and was wondering about the pump and chain. I fully intend on replacing the pump and chain just because I'll have the motor torn down that far. Why not do it if it's right there in front of you? Is the pump tube really that big of a pain? That's a question and not being sarcastic. From what I've read the bolt is a pain to get to but is that it? Is that one bolt keeping people from replacing parts while the engine is apart?
Just do it. You have a '98, so you should be replacing the oil pump no questions asked. Once you are removing the oil pump the chain is a gimme. No, it's not that bad of a swap but it is a PITA with a real chance of dropping something into the oil pan if you are not carefull. So be carefull!
Old 05-06-2005, 03:21 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
Just do it. You have a '98, so you should be replacing the oil pump no questions asked. Once you are removing the oil pump the chain is a gimme. No, it's not that bad of a swap but it is a PITA with a real chance of dropping something into the oil pan if you are not carefull. So be carefull!
rags seem to be the best bet, and if you do drop it, the rags will catch it in the pan and you can pull'r out with a pen magnet.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah the oil pump and chain swap definitely added a bunch of time while changing out the cam but with those stiff manley valvesprings i think it was more than worth it. that pickup tube bolt is a PITA but i just did like everyone else and stuffed a rag in there and pulled the bolt out easily everytime i dropped it. so do yourself a favor and do the pump and chain swap, you'll be happy you did later .