Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost of Titanium Connecting and Push Rods?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 04:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cal
Didn't I say it leaked because the tolerances were correct for it's operating temperature, which I just said before that were very high? Obviously sitting on the ground it will be much cooler, so the metal shrinks. How is that being an ***?
LOL....sorry for the confusion Cal. Wasn't referring to you.

sb427f-car, your point was proven, i didn't say it wasn't.

my point was, when using something as evidence for an arguement, its best not to leave any pertinent facts out. just b/c people are gearheads doesn't mean they spend time reading declassified documents about the US' Blackbird project

Originally Posted by Cal
Crew members had long flights, so they took food with them, which they cooked by just holding it against the window.
now thats something i didn't know. good deal
Old 05-04-2005, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

If some of you want light connecting rods then I would suggest you get Jager Aluminum rods. Considering you don't have run bearings with them, you can run a minimal of .0005" clearance on the rods, they average around 415 grams per 6" rod and they are around $250 each, they're cheap compared to "unobtainium".
Old 05-04-2005, 07:10 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
LOL....sorry for the confusion Cal. Wasn't referring to you.

sb427f-car, your point was proven, i didn't say it wasn't.

my point was, when using something as evidence for an arguement, its best not to leave any pertinent facts out. just b/c people are gearheads doesn't mean they spend time reading declassified documents about the US' Blackbird project

now thats something i didn't know. good deal

I've never read one single declassified document on the Blackbird, only some decent aerospace books and I've caught some specials on Discovery, History, ect. So...it's all good.

I can grill pretty good, but imagine grilling @ 130k+ ft back at ya. BTW, I've seen one of the mothballed 71s out @ Dayton in the national air force museum. It's one thing to see in a photo or vid., but it's awe inspiring in person. Yet we digress...back to the topic.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:59 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sb427f-car
I've never read one single declassified document on the Blackbird, only some decent aerospace books and I've caught some specials on Discovery, History, ect. So...it's all good.

I can grill pretty good, but imagine grilling @ 130k+ ft back at ya. BTW, I've seen one of the mothballed 71s out @ Dayton in the national air force museum. It's one thing to see in a photo or vid., but it's awe inspiring in person. Yet we digress...back to the topic.
[back off topic]
Same here; I work for the Air Force, but all I've learned about the SR-71 was from the same sources you listed. I second what you said about seeing one in the flesh; we have one here at the Air museum at Hill Air Force Base. It's quite a large aircraft, in fact, it's the largest single-crew member aircraft ever built (another record.) Of interest to car gear-heads, the starter motor for this plane is a pair of 455 Buick engines with Holley carbs! No, they're not mounted on the plane, it's a stand-alone roll-up cart. They run in tandem at full throttle just to start one jet engine, then they roll it to the other side to start the other jet engine.

Last edited by Cal; 05-04-2005 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Cal
Crew members had long flights, so they took food with them, which they cooked by just holding it against the window.
Wow, if you can go from NY to LA in 35 minutes, where do you have to go to have a 'long flight' that requires you to bring food along?
Old 05-04-2005, 08:43 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by soslo
Wow, if you can go from NY to LA in 35 minutes, where do you have to go to have a 'long flight' that requires you to bring food along?
They were usually flying over the Solviet Union, in big, lazy circles 200 miles across, to try and tempt the Rusians to fire a missle at them. Then they would simply out run the missle - the ultimate insult to the Rusians, just to **** them off. The aircraft could literally fly faster than a bullet.

Edit:
They didn't operate them at top speed all the time; with most jet engines that wastes a lot of fuel. SR-71 engines convert from turbine mode to ram jet mode at high altitude and high speed. The inlet airflow is diverted around the compressor on the front end to accomplish this. Ram jet engines must be moving at supersonic speeds to even operate.

A turbojet engine is similar to an automobile turbocharger; it has a compressor that is driven by a turbine. About the same compression ratio as a car engine is required.

Last edited by Cal; 05-04-2005 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:17 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by Cal
[back off topic]
Same here; I work for the Air Force, but all I've learned about the SR-71 was from the same sources you listed. I second what you said about seeing one in the flesh; we have one here at the Air museum at Hill Air Force Base. It's quite a large aircraft, in fact, it's the largest single-crew member aircraft ever built (another record.) Of interest to car gear-heads, the starter motor for this plane is a pair of 455 Buick engines with Holley carbs! No, they're not mounted on the plane, it's a stand-alone roll-up cart. They run in tandem at full throttle just to start one jet engine, then they roll it to the other side to start the other jet engine.

HAHA, I had forgoten about the Buick engines! I thought they were a two member crew.

Well...I was going to post up something...I forget exactly where I heard it...maybe I was wrong though when I said NY to LA in 35 minutes. But...here is what google dug up.

http://www.sr-71.org/blackbird/records.htm
Old 05-04-2005, 09:21 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by Cal
They were usually flying over the Solviet Union, in big, lazy circles 200 miles across, to try and tempt the Rusians to fire a missle at them. Then they would simply out run the missle - the ultimate insult to the Rusians, just to **** them off. The aircraft could literally fly faster than a bullet.

Edit:
They didn't operate them at top speed all the time; with most jet engines that wastes a lot of fuel. SR-71 engines convert from turbine mode to ram jet mode at high altitude and high speed. The inlet airflow is diverted around the compressor on the front end to accomplish this. Ram jet engines must be moving at supersonic speeds to even operate.

A turbojet engine is similar to an automobile turbocharger; it has a compressor that is driven by a turbine. About the same compression ratio as a car engine is required.

Yeah, that's it. It's also known as "super cruse." I knew it had a technical name. Cal...you remember where I heard that figure from? I can turn it up on google. Using it and working the math out...it's REALLY fast. Faster that the ones that turned up...BY A BUNCH!
Old 05-04-2005, 09:26 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

HAHA, I had forgoten about the Buick engines! I thought they were a two member crew.
One man crew, but a few two-seaters were built as trainers. That's the kind we have at Hill AFB; it's a "rare bird."
Old 05-04-2005, 09:29 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Yeah, that's it. It's also known as "super cruse." I knew it had a technical name. Cal...you remember where I heard that figure from? I can turn it up on google. Using it and working the math out...it's REALLY fast. Faster that the ones that turned up...BY A BUNCH!
I've heard the 35 minite figure also . . . the story I heard was the top speed was classified, and until this trip hit the news, few people realized how fast the aircraft really was. It was a give-away with simple math. Probably intentional; not to give away the top speed, but to say to the world, "hey now you know it's at least this fast."