Old 05-11-2005, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

manley duals
Old 05-11-2005, 04:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Why does everyone jump on a bandwagon??
First when PP gold came out it was PP duals all over the posts.
Now it is PRC's all over the posts.

Aren't we forgetting something??

Mass people.
The best springs to run are the ones that will handle your lifts and offer the lightest mass on you moving valvetrain.
Are the PRC' or PP's or Comps the ones to do it??
Let us see some testing and R&D on this subject. There is none.
Why?
Because of marketing and business strategies.
( I feel a wiff of anarchy in the air)
Old 05-11-2005, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

TEA kit is the best bang for the buck. 259.95!
Springs,Ti retainers,GM seals,and cups.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Why does everyone jump on a bandwagon??
First when PP gold came out it was PP duals all over the posts.
Now it is PRC's all over the posts.

Aren't we forgetting something??

Mass people.
The best springs to run are the ones that will handle your lifts and offer the lightest mass on you moving valvetrain.
Are the PRC' or PP's or Comps the ones to do it??
Let us see some testing and R&D on this subject. There is none.
Why?
Because of marketing and business strategies.
( I feel a wiff of anarchy in the air)

The springs from Manley, AFR, Patriot, PRC, and TEA are all the same spring from Associated Spring. There are some differences in the rest of their kits, but buy the spring that you can get the best deal and service on. Don't believe all of the hype about gold this or polished that. From the manufacturers mouth 'the gold finish is just for marketing purposes'. IMHO the Comp 921 is in a class unto itself, but obviously it doesn't compete at the price point of these 'gold bling springs'.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff
The springs from Manley, AFR, Patriot, PRC, and TEA are all the same spring from Associated Spring. There are some differences in the rest of their kits, but buy the spring that you can get the best deal and service on. Don't believe all of the hype about gold this or polished that. From the manufacturers mouth 'the gold finish is just for marketing purposes'. IMHO the Comp 921 is in a class unto itself, but obviously it doesn't compete at the price point of these 'gold bling springs'.
The polishing does improve the spring life.Surface finish of materials effect the life of whatever the part.Why do you think some parts are shotpeened?I worked with the engineer that designed the valve spring.This spring did not exist until I helped create it.Since you claim to know who manufactures valve springs,who makes the comp 921 spring?
Old 05-11-2005, 09:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Terry@RacetechSpeed
The polishing does improve the spring life.Surface finish of materials effect the life of whatever the part.Why do you think some parts are shotpeened?I worked with the engineer that designed the valve spring.This spring did not exist until I helped create it.Since you claim to know who manufactures valve springs,who makes the comp 921 spring?
Terry,

Why are you getting so worked up? Relax dude. The bottom line is that the actual manufacturer (and actual engineering source) has stated that the polishing is there for marketing reasons. I agree that surface finish is important, but there is more than one way to get the desired result. My point is that the standard finish on these springs works just fine, anything else is just eyewash. Bottom line is that unlike yourself I don't sell these springs so I don't have any financial stake in what is sold. I am just telling the honest truth for those that care.

As far as the Comp 921's are concerned, I never claimed to know (or care) who the actual manufacturer is. Just like you claim with Associated I know the person who engineered the 921 (big deal). I know what is in it. I have used these springs with a hydraulic roller at 8400 RPM. I know what they are capable of doing. The Associated spring is a good piece, but they aren't Comp 921's either.

You were incredibly rude to me when you were with Patriot (no I haven't forgotten about our phone conversation) and now you are bashing me on the internet. Leave me alone.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:49 PM
10 Second Club

Damn this is really getting out of hand. Terry it seems you have a personal grudge against Geoff. He was only trying to be helpful. I might add also he was honest instead of trying to push the springs Thunder carries.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I do not have any personal grudge against Geoff or Thunder racing.I have no idea how I was ever rude to him.If I was I am sorry.Geoff,I would like to talk with you and work out the problem.
I know who manufactures all of the main spring lines ( comp,crane,manley,isky ect...).The comp spring is a very good product,but IMO it is not better than the other springs just because it cost more.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

would proper finishing on the valves (depending on the type) add some strength and stifness to the spring, slightly?
Old 05-12-2005, 01:38 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Terry, whats the seat and open pressure, rate, and install height of the new "platinum" spring? and also why wasnt spring locator clearance issue addressed that Brent had brought up in an earlier thread?

and i agree with predator
Old 05-12-2005, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrp
Terry, whats the seat and open pressure, rate, and install height of the new "platinum" spring? and also why wasnt spring locator clearance issue addressed that Brent had brought up in an earlier thread?

and i agree with predator

JRP, There is not a clearance issue with the spring locators.PRC offers 2 different size spring locators.One has a .505 hole that is designed for the stock valve guide.The other has a .565 hole that is designed for aftermarket bronze valve guides.You can use the larger I.D. locator with the stock valve guide,I have in my own personal stuff.Everything if fine as long as the clearance is not so much that it pulls the valve seal off the guide.In this case it does not have a problem.The specs for the new spring will be posted today.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:27 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

JRP, There is not a clearance issue with the spring locators.PRC offers 2 different size spring locators.One has a .505 hole that is designed for the stock valve guide.The other has a .565 hole that is designed for aftermarket bronze valve guides.You can use the larger I.D. locator with the stock valve guide,I have in my own personal stuff.Everything if fine as long as the clearance is not so much that it pulls the valve seal off the guide.In this case it does not have a problem.The specs for the new spring will be posted today.
thats what i like to hear
Old 05-13-2005, 11:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The specs for the new spring will be posted today.
Still waiting for the info... There's a post in the sponsor section by TSP claiming the platinum springs to be good to .670 lift, but thats the only info ive read. How much heavier are these springs? What are the pressures? Any other benefit to using this spring vs the gold spring other than an extra .010 lift?