Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

422 ci start up, no oil pressure. How long to wait till the gauge moves?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 01:11 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New GM blocks don't come with neither oil galley plugs/restrictor nor any of the screw-in coolant/oil plugs, so I'd doubt a shortblock using a new block has them either. The small press-in plug in the front looks like a small freeze plug, the one in the rear has already been discussed, and its the plastic restrictor. Missing both would definatly have no oil pressure.

I don't remember seeing a 422 go out, but I checked with Jason and he said the machine shop doesn't install either plug for us on a shortblock.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

Purdue WS6 Please let us know the outcome since I've been following your thread, thanks.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

stand corrected. update soon
Old 05-15-2005, 10:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went thru the same problems at start up. The best fix was to take out the oil pressure sender in the back of the block. Get a small hose and a funnel. Pour about a quart of oil down the hole. Replace the sender and fire it up. That should get the prime thru the motor and up to the gauge and you should have pressure as soon as you start. You may not have pressure after it sits overnight because you probably have a pick up or O ring problem. That's what happened to me... i would not run it more than 10 seconds without oil pressure.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:22 AM
On The Tree

Ok im still working on dropping the tranny, got the driveshaft, shifter and cross member out except for the tranny which should come out today afternoon and then i'll install the rear plug.

I have a question about the front plug. Does anyone know the size of that plug and if its a plug size used on the older small blocks? Because I tried the dealership here and they dont have the front plug so Im trying to find out if i can just use another plug from some other engine that would fit!

Mahmood
Old 05-16-2005, 01:26 AM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

I will measure one Monday at work. There is probably something that you should be able to find that will fit.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by -Joseph-
I will measure one Monday at work. There is probably something that you should be able to find that will fit.
Thanks I appreciate it !

Mahmood
Old 05-16-2005, 03:00 AM
Teching In

did you prime the pump??
Old 05-16-2005, 05:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok firstly you can remove the rear allen head freeze plug on the passenger side of the block and look in there to see if the rear galley plug is installed. Its tight quarters, but a mirror and a light should make it so that you can see it. You will see a white stick basically, you won't see the o-ring or anything like that, as its engaged in the back of the block but you will see the shaft section of the plug.

With the front oil galley plug, that is available through GM as well. With the motor upright and in the car it is to the right of the oil pump where the timing cover has a bumped out section.

If either of those plugs are missing, or worse both you don't stand a chance at making oil pressure. Either way I would not crank this thing anymore until you verify that both plugs are in place.

Good Luck
Old 05-16-2005, 05:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nick@VictoryRacing
Ok firstly you can remove the rear allen head freeze plug on the passenger side of the block and look in there to see if the rear galley plug is installed. Its tight quarters, but a mirror and a light should make it so that you can see it. You will see a white stick basically, you won't see the o-ring or anything like that, as its engaged in the back of the block but you will see the shaft section of the plug.

With the front oil galley plug, that is available through GM as well. With the motor upright and in the car it is to the right of the oil pump where the timing cover has a bumped out section.

If either of those plugs are missing, or worse both you don't stand a chance at making oil pressure. Either way I would not crank this thing anymore until you verify that both plugs are in place.

Good Luck
Yeah I went and looked at an old block and found both of them so right now I know where they are and im pretty sure I didnt install either one of them.

Hoping I could be finished by tomorrow with both. The tough part now is just finding the plug for the front, im in the Middle East and GM doesnt stock on all parts here because of the lack of demand so they have the usual stuff but things like this they need to order and it takes a while. So i will go look around a few shops because i think the front plug size could have been used on other applications and i might find it.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:13 AM
On The Tree

almost finished putting back the clutch i already installed the rear plug.. hopefully i can finish up the tranny soon too and then start on the front side of the engine. if i dont find a plug for the front i can custom make one here in my cousin's workshop they can make me an aluminum or brass plug.

Mahmood
Old 05-16-2005, 02:03 PM
TECH Resident

the front oil galley is .625. You can use a 5/8 freeze plug, they are about .629 diameter
Old 05-16-2005, 03:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by racecar
the front oil galley is .625. You can use a 5/8 freeze plug, they are about .629 diameter
terrific ! thats what i thought it was a 5/8 i saw it in the description of the part number in a catalog.

we're done atleast with the rear oil plug and completed installing the tranny and d/s and center console.. so tomorrow morning get started with the front!
Old 05-16-2005, 05:22 PM
On The Tree

Use the force Luke.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:51 PM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Can you verify the front plug by remove the side freeze plug also? Do 6.0L blocks have the front plug also?
Old 05-17-2005, 02:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ls1290
Can you verify the front plug by remove the side freeze plug also? Do 6.0L blocks have the front plug also?

All LSx blocks have the front plug. It is my personal practice to always install both front and rear plugs, but whomever is finishing the engine should always double check for these plugs.

You may be able to see the plug through the side hole, but I don't think it engages that deep into the block to see through the side.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:28 AM
On The Tree

All LSx blocks have the front plug. It is my personal practice to always install both front and rear plugs, but whomever is finishing the engine should always double check for these plugs.

You may be able to see the plug through the side hole, but I don't think it engages that deep into the block to see through the side.
hold on your confusing me here. are you saying the front plug is pre-installed by TSP? because i dont want to pull out the crank pulley to find it installed later..
Old 05-17-2005, 09:06 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by PurdueWS6
because i dont want to pull out the crank pulley to find it installed later..
Exactly. I would like to know if there is a way to verify that the front and rear plugs have been installed.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:59 PM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by ls1290
Exactly. I would like to know if there is a way to verify that the front and rear plugs have been installed.
ttt.....
Old 05-17-2005, 06:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was told to unplug thwe coil packs, then turn the key to make the engine turn over until the gauge shows oil pressure. ALso make sure the oil sending unit is plugged in right.