Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who IS running C5R heads?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 01:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A C5R head is too exotic for my tastes ($$$ custom sheetmetal intake, $$$ rocker setup, $$$$ everything....) Sorry I forgot to plant a money tree in my backyard this time of year. Don't they bloom in late spring?

Did SAM ever go 8s naturally-aspirated on LS6 heads yet?
That's more than enough for me. Being able to drive it 300 miles at a time and refuel on pump gas is bliss.

Sure beats carrying 20 gals of race fuel in your trunk or having a tanker truck follow you around.

I'm not interested in building trailer-queen 1/4 mile ****** powered by 116. If that was the case it'd be a Big Chief + more nitrous than most people have horsepower...and not in a late-model F or Y-body.

Mike
Old 05-25-2005, 01:38 PM
m6z
12 Second Club

yes, i would like some more info on the et heads too.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:33 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey no doubt they are not cheap... For some of us it's about the process and results, not the cash. Makes it a little easier when you can make the parts you need as well.

You can make them work awesome on pump gas, and the good flow numbers will get you more power at lower RPM which make for a good street motor to me.

Bret
Old 05-25-2005, 05:31 PM
Collections Hold

Default etp cylinder heads

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy
Are the intake ports (intake manifold-to-head face) a C5R derivitive (ie: will an intake built for a "real" C5R head fit on those etheads)?

Yes they will. We have taken a little longer than we wanted to release them, partly due to how many different part numbers we will have, we are working on our web release right now, hope to have it in a couple days. We so far have over 30 different part numbers and programs for both the "C5R" version, and the cathederal port version. Basically both will offer any bore size and any chamber volume from 38 to 76 cc in four different valve angles. Not to mention, we also have a LS7 too.

Last edited by Cary@Perf-Induction; 05-25-2005 at 08:34 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-25-2005, 05:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by cary et performance
Yes they will. We have taken a little longer than we wanted to release them, partly due to how many different part numbers we will have, we are working on our web release right now, hope to have it in a couple days. We so far have over 30 different part numbers and programs for both the "C5R" version, and the cathederal port version. Basically both will offer any bore size and any chamber volume from 38 to 76 cc in two different valve angles. Not to mention, we also have a LS7 too.
What are the valve angles you will offer, if you can say?
Old 05-25-2005, 08:33 PM
Collections Hold

Default valve angles

Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
What are the valve angles you will offer, if you can say?
nd

valve angles are 11, 12, 14 and 15. Our c5r style will not be high dollar either. We wanted people to be able to buy for an affordable price. We are also working on cost effective rocker system for all of our cylinder heads, lightweight and strong.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:06 PM
TECH Addict

Hmmm sounds like the guys @ ET are getting their **** together! Those flow charateristic of the C5R heads with a 60CC chamber would be AWESOME and I think would make a helluva street street setup with a good sized solid roller in my motor.

Now some1 needs to come out with an affordable sheetmetal intake! LOL

Josh S.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kraest
Touche.

Advice you should take yourself before you ask your daddy to answer the questions for you. Don't think for a second I don't remember when you were a newbie on CZ28.com and asking completely retarded questions. I can post examples if need be.

Internet glory. Who loves it?

Everyone's a f(edited)' hero.

Mike
Big Daddy here. Been lurking for a while, but you got me to comment, Kraest. Few others do.

Ace seems to have progressed quite a bit. Please favor us with some of his retarded questions from CZ28.com. As I age I tend to forget things...refresh me if you will. I'll needle him for you.

I really had to LOL at this one:

Originally Posted by Kraest
I don't even like the idea of using these heads due to their small combustion chamber (38ish cc?)

Using heavily-dished pistons to lower the compression is a terrible idea and IMO is like a band-aid.

Mike
Even I, the Old Fart, keep up with what's going on in NASCAR Cup, F1,Pro Stock, Engine Masters, etc.

FWIW, "daddy" is still the consultant for things like materials, heat treating, stress analysis, etc, but for a lot of stuff like camshaft design, head flow, engine design, manifold modification, etc. ad nauseum, I now ask the "kid".

BTW, IM (never Humble) O, that's cool (or kool in my generation's lingo).

Some of us progress...some of us don't. More's the pity.

Last edited by Old SStroker; 05-26-2005 at 06:36 AM. Reason: spellcheck!
Old 05-26-2005, 12:43 AM
TECH Veteran

the next question is..........(drum roll.....)........rocker arms?

Are you going to mill the rocker mounts in such a way that "standard" shaft mount LS1 rockers will work with the lower valve angle?

How do we work the offset valve on the 2.200" intake?

Old 05-26-2005, 01:14 PM
Banned

Most likely it will be with an offset rocker arm, like the LS7.

Bret
Old 05-26-2005, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

Are we going to get a low/reduced mass valvetrain to use with these new heads?
Old 05-26-2005, 11:12 PM
Banned

Well if they are like a C5R head in terms of valve length you are gonna need them, because 135g valves need a lot of spring to control. A stock LS1 valve is around 100g's so you can see the huge difference in mass in terms of percentage.

Bret
Old 05-27-2005, 11:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
Most likely it will be with an offset rocker arm, like the LS7.

Bret

that would only take car of the offset (2.200") intake valve (does nothing for the different valve angles) and no matter what the LS7 rockeram is worthless for anyone who need an adjustable rocker (those of us with solid roller)......
Old 05-27-2005, 12:35 PM
Banned

LIKE the LS7, I didn't say the same dam rocker arm as the LS7.

I have a feeling that they are getting the different valve angles on the castings by angle milling them more and having a pretty thick deck to start with for this purpose like the GM 15° heads. Should make the rocker arms pretty close to similar with just more clearancing on the heads for the pushrods. If the rocker arm is offset then I wouldn't be suprised if the setup needs a shaft mount anyways.

Bret
Old 05-28-2005, 05:10 AM
Collections Hold

Default etp valve angles

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
LIKE the LS7, I didn't say the same dam rocker arm as the LS7.

I have a feeling that they are getting the different valve angles on the castings by angle milling them more and having a pretty thick deck to start with for this purpose like the GM 15° heads. Should make the rocker arms pretty close to similar with just more clearancing on the heads for the pushrods. If the rocker arm is offset then I wouldn't be suprised if the setup needs a shaft mount anyways.

Bret

Before things get twisted up, I will verify;

11 degree cathederal port street head does not use an offset rocker arm. It uses a stock rocker arm. The decks are not rolled/angle milled. Our head is purpose built to suit the multiple valve angles. we do use a 3/4 deck. the spring pads will work with any size valve spring. We are using a slightly longer valve. weight can be controlled with valve spring pressure. We also have a "race" style cathederal port that does use an offset rocker arm, they are avalible from Jesel as adjustable, or could also use a viper rocker for non adjustable purposes.

some preliminary flow numbers on the 3.900 bore 2.040 valve 215cc no bs 11degree

.100 74
.200 152
.300 219
.400 266
.500 301
.550 312
.600 320
.650 323
Old 05-28-2005, 05:19 AM
Collections Hold

Default 2.200

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy
the next question is..........(drum roll.....)........rocker arms?

Are you going to mill the rocker mounts in such a way that "standard" shaft mount LS1 rockers will work with the lower valve angle?

How do we work the offset valve on the 2.200" intake?

the ls7 style cylinder head will use the ls7 offset rocker arms, we will also offer them with a slightly narrower port that will use a stock style rocker arm and a 2.100 or 2.200 valve.

The main reason we want to offer the LS7 style head is that the factory ls7 cylinder head is lightweight, thin deck and sould have room for additional porting or to fit on a smaller bore with smaller valves. so the guys with the ls2's can still use the ls7 intake manifold and valve train and not be over on the the port volume and valve size.
Old 05-28-2005, 10:51 AM
FormerVendor

I have a used c5r topend and custom intake, jesels, titanium valves for sale. They made 751HP on a 402cid N/A'd, I can get the sheets. These are not cheap but do work well!
Dave
sled28@look.ca

Quick Reply: Who IS running C5R heads?