Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 balance

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 07:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 balance

Is the ls1 internal balance, very soon I will replace my stock clutch and flywheel for SPEC satge 3 clutch and SPEC Aluminum flywheel. Also switching the stock harmonic balancer for a ATI super damper. Will engine balance be afected with this mods.
Thanks
Old 05-25-2005, 10:14 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by paulam
Is the ls1 internal balance, very soon I will replace my stock clutch and flywheel for SPEC satge 3 clutch and SPEC Aluminum flywheel. Also switching the stock harmonic balancer for a ATI super damper. Will engine balance be afected with this mods.
Thanks
Paulam,

No it should not be at all since you are right that the LS1 IS internally balanced.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

humm well i'd read up on the manual trans section. a lot of ppl are having problems with the new spec clutches. My friend just got his stage 3 pulled out with around 30k on it (not raced) and the clutch disk is toast.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:24 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately, it's BOTH!

On the assembly line they make an effort to manufacture all of the parts to a specific tolerance.. But if they put one together and find it's out on the cold spin, that's when they start tacking on weights on the flywheel, etc. and it’s also the reason why folks who bolt on balanced flywheels and clutches end up w/ a vibration they didn't used to have; the whole assembly is no longer in balance.

The only "guaranteed" way to do this is to mark the position of the flywheel and clutch while it's still on the motor, the have the old stuff pulled off and measured (figure out how far off it is, and mark the heavy spot.) Then have the new stuff balanced to the same "spec" as the old stuff, even though that may mean it isn't "zero balanced". You stand the best chance of not introducing a new vibration using this method. The down-side is you loose out on the opportunity to improve on the stock balance.. Oh well.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 05-26-2005 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not race my car, is for street use and very few times road racing I am replacing this parts because I am going with ATI procharger D1SC kit at 8psi. And I do not think that the a stock LS1 ´00 clutch can handle this. My car currently has 21K miles on it.
Just what to make sure that I would not shorten my engine life with engine vibration.
Thanks again for you help and time, here in Costa Rica no body knows about this cars.
Currently 5 LS1´s 3 f-bodys and 2 vettes and 1 LS6 corvette Z06 in the country.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whatever you do, do not install the Spec set up without having it checked at a local machine shop. Spec replaced one severely out of balance clutch for me guaranteeing that the replacement would be balanced. Well I installed the replacement. It too was out of balance. Well, out comes the tranny again so I could have it balanced correctly at a local shop. I will say after the inital horror show the clutch has worked flawlessly for 3 years, with a bunch of 4,000 RPM launches.

Quick Reply: LS1 balance