Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car is leaking oil like crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 10:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All,

I have posted this on my local car board as well.. My engine has Total Seal piston rings with gapless top rings and a couple people said those are crap and will cause blow by.. Anyone have experiance with these rings? Thanks for all the help!
Old 06-06-2005, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are you running any boost?

I really want to see you pull your other plugs, that could tell another story. From the pics, this is what I think. 1 of 3 is hapening, 1, your valve seals are shot and the oil is leaking down past the valve into the combustion chamber. 2, You bent a valve, have you over-revved the motor lately? Are all the pushrods strait? 3, Your piston ring is shot and oil is blowing by and getting up into the combustion area. And for the record, I don't think it has anything to do with your valve cover gasket.

Cheap/Easy things you can try:
Compression test the cylinders. it's like $15 for the tester at any auto store.
Leak down test, see if air is coming from the intake (bad valve) or bottom of the motor (f'd up ring/piston).
Roll the push rods on a flat surface, like glass, see if they are strait.
Who did the heads?
Who installed the heads?
If it were 'my car' i'd have the heads off already. Oil leaks can get real nasty and are a sign of not so fun times.
-Steve
Old 06-06-2005, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Joel_SS
All,

I have posted this on my local car board as well.. My engine has Total Seal piston rings with gapless top rings and a couple people said those are crap and will cause blow by.. Anyone have experiance with these rings? Thanks for all the help!
Guys have had all kinds of problems with those rings in LS1 applications. You might have an issue with the seals/guides in addition to the rings themselves.

Old 06-06-2005, 01:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by v8maro
Are you running any boost?
No Boost

Cheap/Easy things you can try:
Compression test the cylinders. it's like $15 for the tester at any auto store.
Leak down test, see if air is coming from the intake (bad valve) or bottom of the motor (f'd up ring/piston).
Roll the push rods on a flat surface, like glass, see if they are strait.
Who did the heads?
Who installed the heads?
If it were 'my car' i'd have the heads off already. Oil leaks can get real nasty and are a sign of not so fun times.
-Steve
I am taking to a friends house tonight, we are going to to a compression / leakdown test.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

No Boost

I am taking to a friends house tonight, we are going to to a compression / leakdown test.
awesome. With my cam I think my compression was around 140-160(?) I think stock is near 200psi.
-Steve
Old 06-07-2005, 12:25 AM
TECH Resident

awesome. With my cam I think my compression was around 140-160(?) I think stock is near 200psi.
-Steve
Update, we did a compression test.. All teh cylinders were around 180-190 PSI.. So it looks liek the rings are okay.. This weeked or next we are going to pull the valve springs and check the valve seals, and the rocker arm bolt holes, we are also suspecting a valve guide too.. I will keep this thread updated... Thanks All!
Old 06-07-2005, 05:11 AM
10 Second Club

I also have heard the Total Seal rings can cause problems. They actually work so well that the vacuum they create pulls a lot of oil thru the valve guides/seals. Good luck to you man...I know what it's like to have problems....
Old 06-07-2005, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Update, we did a compression test.. All teh cylinders were around 180-190 PSI.. So it looks liek the rings are okay.. This weeked or next we are going to pull the valve springs and check the valve seals, and the rocker arm bolt holes, we are also suspecting a valve guide too.. I will keep this thread updated... Thanks All!
sounds like u need to remove the heads and have them inspected.