Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spun bearing.. what are my options?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 10:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99CamaroSS_
Thats the thing they already took apart the top of the motor and it wasnt a rocker arm or valve spring

Thats why they are pulling the motor. Thats why im for sure now that its a spun bearing.. what else could it be? that would cause a loud ticking sound like that.

If you only have 50K then I could only suggest that to verify it is not a collasped lifter? I have had 1 or 2 cars take a little while to quiet lifters after cam installs, I would just check/double check, I know this is very simplistic but just swapping cams should not instantly cause a spun bearing problem Hope everything works out for the best
Old 06-04-2005, 11:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

I talked to Brendan(99CamaroSS_) and he said that a shop in the North Texas area(where he got the install, but not a sponsor) told him the sound wasn't coming from the top of the motor, but from the bottom. Thats why they think its a rod bearing.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
I talked to Brendan(99CamaroSS_) and he said that a shop in the North Texas area(where he got the install, but not a sponsor) told him the sound wasn't coming from the top of the motor, but from the bottom. Thats why they think its a rod bearing.
What cyphur just said ^

They already took apart the top part of the motor and there was no problem. Thats why they are pulling it. They checked everything they could and it wasnt anything from the top of the motor. Thats why they are pulling it, and thats why they think now that it might be a spun bearing.

I dont have the money truely and honestly to pay for a new motor and install, if the motor is fried im going to have a tuff decesion but i probably will end up parting the whole car out, to get as much money as possible.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry to hear this dude Is there anyway you can plop some on a credit card to hold you through the summer then pay it off?? You haven't even felt the cars true potential yet after the mods were done, that's a crying shame!!! You may be able to get things real cheap, just start looking and pricing, don't give up on her yet!! It's gonna be hard to sell the car stock with that motor anyways, and parting it out because of a spun bearing is WAYYYY to much trouble dude, wait till that shop lets you know what happened....
Old 06-05-2005, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Orange Peel
Sorry to hear this dude Is there anyway you can plop some on a credit card to hold you through the summer then pay it off?? You haven't even felt the cars true potential yet after the mods were done, that's a crying shame!!! You may be able to get things real cheap, just start looking and pricing, don't give up on her yet!! It's gonna be hard to sell the car stock with that motor anyways, and parting it out because of a spun bearing is WAYYYY to much trouble dude, wait till that shop lets you know what happened....

i know im just now going into college and i have no money whatsoever! im gunna try to do my best to keep it alive but i dont know if im going to be able 2!
Old 06-05-2005, 12:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

i'm sure we can find some guys in North Texas that will pull together and put the new motor in to save you some money. I'll def help out....but haven't pulled an LS1 yet. I do know a guy who can help tho, for relatively cheap. Heck of a lot cheaper than $1k.

if you do part out, call me first
Old 06-05-2005, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i'm sure we can find some guys in North Texas that will pull together and put the new motor in to save you some money. I'll def help out....but haven't pulled an LS1 yet. I do know a guy who can help tho, for relatively cheap. Heck of a lot cheaper than $1k.

if you do part out, call me first
Lol yea ill let you know. But there already pulling the motor at the shop to find out what the problem is, tommarow. So its already gunna be 500 to pull it. Once they find out the problem if it is a spun bearing i might get someone with a big truck, to help me get the motor. And when i find out the price for a motor build i might send it down to HPE. And then hopefully we can get some experienced guys to put the motor back in. But we will see i have to find out the prices of what all this stuff will cost me

It just sucks cuz this summer i was going to save up for some heads, and pocket the rest for school, so i have a good 1500+ to start school with. But now it looks like it will all go to the motor
Old 06-05-2005, 03:17 PM
TECH Regular

Thats the thing they already took apart the top of the motor and it wasnt a rocker arm or valve spring

Thats why they are pulling the motor. Thats why im for sure now that its a spun bearing.. what else could it be? that would cause a loud ticking sound like that.
Does an A4 have a flex plate (anyone)? A cracked flex plate can sound exactly like that. (a flex plate is a large, somewhat fragile gear that the starter engages with when you turn the key). If it's cracked, it will/can click/tick with the rotation of the engine. It may change tone when you put it in first gear, or reverse. It will likely stay in sync with the engine RPM.

Go to the local auto parts store an pick up a $5 mechanic's stethoscope. With the engine running, use the long tip to probe around and find out where the ticking is loudest. Climb under the car and listen at the oil pan, sides of the engine, and transmission bellhousing. You (we) could/should get a good idea about the source of the ticking based on the location of the noise.

If it's just the flex plate, you are talking a few hundred dollars to replace it. Maybe much less, if you can find local LS1Tech folks to help you in your driveway. The part is probably $80 and it's not that tough to replace.

I wouldn't presume it's a spun bearing (especially at 50k miles and just a cam). You should try and locate (pinpoint) the source of the noise. Don't give up! And don't part your car out over this (!!!), even if you have to spend a few hundred dollars on a junker to drive until you can afford to fix it...

Good luck and let us know what you hear through the stethoscope.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BAIN
ss rally red, Thanks for the assumption that I didn't know the problem started right after the install and flaming me I would have never posted anything unless I knew a little about the subject and I didn't want to see the guy get stuck with the bill. Just take it back and let them look it over and I'm sure if it is the shop's fault they will fix it for you.

Does the sound sound like a ticking or sewing machine?
I promise I did not mean to flame YOU ,I have been in this business for so long(service/repair) that I tend to get somewhat quick to respond when something happens to a car after a shop has performed a service and there is a problem soon afterward, sure shops do make mistakes we are human like everyone else,its just that in so many instances shops are always blamed for ANYTHING that goes wrong with a car even if the problem that arrises can in no way be related to the work performed.. Now I know this problem could be directly related to the cam install so its a 50/50 deal Now let me tell ya about a customer that we did an oil change on her car and 5 days later the power antenna stops working and its our fault since we touched the car last
Old 06-05-2005, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ss rally red
Now let me tell ya about a customer that we did an oil change on her car and 5 days later the power antenna stops working and its our fault since we touched the car last
People like that should be removed from the gene pool.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:35 PM
TECH Veteran

People like that should be removed from the gene pool.
Tell me about it I dont want to hijack this thread,and I know people that come to this board are CAR people and you would not have this kinda problem with them but let me tell you MR/MRS. Joe/Jane Q Public......I could write a book on some line of reasoning people have
Old 06-05-2005, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Tell me about it I dont want to hijack this thread,and I know people that come to this board are CAR people and you would not have this kinda problem with them but let me tell you MR/MRS. Joe/Jane Q Public......I could write a book on some line of reasoning people have

Well ill find out tommarow if it is in FACT a spun bearing, and we will see how the shop goes with that. I dont think it is cam related, but it quite possibly could be. Man i hope something little is just wrong, but im possitive that its gunna be a spun bearing.

Ill post up when i hear.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Well ill find out tommarow if it is in FACT a spun bearing, and we will see how the shop goes with that. I dont think it is cam related, but it quite possibly could be. Man i hope something little is just wrong, but im possitive that its gunna be a spun bearing.

Ill post up when i hear.

There are quite a few options if it is a spun bearing,if it works out to be so,evaluate all your options completely, I hate to see anyone have to sell there car because of the repair bill. if there is anything I can do to help let me know Ken.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There are quite a few options if it is a spun bearing,if it works out to be so,evaluate all your options completely, I hate to see anyone have to sell there car because of the repair bill. if there is anything I can do to help let me know Ken.
Thanks man i appreciate it. If i decide to rebuild it, ill let you know. Seems like you could help me in what i need and dont need. Thanks!

oh and a couple grand would be nice
Old 06-06-2005, 10:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

any updates Brendan?
Old 06-07-2005, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

any updates Brendan?
Yea just got the news. 2 Spun bearings #3 and #8

Things to replace.
-2 Rods
-All new Main and Rod Bearings
-Crank needs to be turned or new one at that
-All new piston rings
-New Oil Pump (there is metal all inside it)
-Machining (Line Hone, Balance Assembly, Vat Block)
-New gaskets and bolts
-Oil Change

For all stock parts im looking at about 3,000 with labor. not to mention the already 500 im about to have to pay for pulling the motor.

Im litteraly about to cry.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

man, that sucks hard. i'm really sorry to hear that.

like i said before, to save some money i'm sure if you get a motor us dfw guys could pull together and throw it in. lemme know if you need any help!! i may have an oil pump for ya....i'll have to check tho.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im going to post up to sell it as is. But im sure it wont sell as is. So im going to part it out if it dosent sell as is. But to be able to part it out i would probably have to get some generous people to help me pull stuff out and everything.

PM me travis when you get a chance.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:56 PM
TECH Veteran

im going to post up to sell it as is. But im sure it wont sell as is. So im going to part it out if it dosent sell as is. But to be able to part it out i would probably have to get some generous people to help me pull stuff out and everything.

PM me travis when you get a chance.

I too am sorry to hear the bad news I know this might not help but have you thought of just checking with a salvage yard(s) in your area to find a motor cheap,if you could sell off the heads/Wp etc/etc....I know those parts wont amount to alot of money,but every little bit helps,you could use the shortblock to get you up and running and if Travis and gang chip in to help with the motor swap............well i know its not the perfect solution but it could get you up and running for a lot less than replacing everything brand new AND when the time comes that you can afford to build motor from the ground up you can do it right,anyway best of luck to you
Old 06-07-2005, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bummer dude! Damn oil pump ******* **** up!!!! Like others have mentioned, look at ebay (last resort), local boards, this board, etc for used motors, they are all over the place for less than $3k! If you do part it out, you should be able to get enough cash for some of those mods to get a new/used motor and sell the car running. What a stroke of bad luck