42.42%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

all stroke or all bore or both

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005 | 03:50 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by stang killer
at what RPM does the LS1 start running into oiling problems from there not ebing enough left in the pan.
You can always put a little extra oil in the pan if you're worried about that. I run a full 6 quarts in mine.

Oil film thickness at high rpm is another mater. The only way I know to improve that is to run higher oil presure. Some race engines run 120 psi.

The GM engineers that designed and tested the LS1 said the low end is good for 7000 rpm continuous all day. Above that oil film thickness gets a bit on the thin side.

With some improved rod bolts, an occational rev to 7200 rpm is no problem.
Old 06-10-2005 | 03:54 PM
11 Second Club

Stroke! I still rev my car to 6800 and with all that torque, the need to downshift is less! Give me a nice flat torque line for a street car anyday.
Old 06-10-2005 | 03:57 PM
Banned

Well if you're spraying that much on top of it I suggest doing both. Go as big as your budget will allow, but if you can only do one i suggest all bore.

Nate
Old 06-10-2005 | 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Cal
You can always put a little extra oil in the pan if you're worried about that. I run a full 6 quarts in mine.

Oil film thickness at high rpm is another mater. The only way I know to improve that is to run higher oil presure. Some race engines run 120 psi.

The GM engineers that designed and tested the LS1 said the low end is good for 7000 rpm continuous all day. Above that oil film thickness gets a bit on the thin side.

Good tip Cal. I actually ran 7 quarts the in last autoX i did, and left it in for a couple thousand miles after with no ill effects. When the engine is running, a lot of the oil is in the galleys and upper engine anyways. You REALLY don't want the pickup to get uncovered during a high rpm, high g corner!
Old 06-10-2005 | 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Cal

I run 6 quarts right now and I dont spin it too high (6800 at times) but I was talking to a reputable LS1 mechanic and he was telling me that at 6k RPM its already less than 1 quart left in the pan. Im just paranoid about the whole oiling system.
Old 06-11-2005 | 01:34 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Lack of oil is probably the most common cause of the death of LS1 motors. They use a lot so you have to stay on top of the oil level.

I’m paranoid about it too after the last time I tore down my engine. I found one scratched up rod bearing, and it was the last one on the oil galley. All the others looked perfect. My shift light is at 6800, but rev limit is at 7000.