Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam postion sensor high error after cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh well. I'm going to take a gamble. I'll be swapping cams soon enough probably so I'll fix it when I'm there. This time I'll use locktite, and a torque wrench.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:34 PM
TECH Resident

Alright, left my house this morning for a 35 mile drive and the same thing came up with about 7 miles left on the trip. I was logging so I noticed the code right away. P0343 and then the tach died. Car continued to run but got louder and louder for the last couple of miles. I had the car towed home and it sittings in the garage now. Whats the easiest way to see if any damage occured? OR should I just try to tighten up the cam bolts? I havent pulled anything off yet. If there has been damage done, would there be any sort of shavings or anything in the oil if I drain it?

what fun!!
Old 08-27-2005, 09:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congrats on finding out the problem just in time before a major disaster happened. now i know before my swap to make sure the cam is really torqued down.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:57 PM
TECH Resident

So you think theres probably no damage?

Easiest way to find out whether there is damage or not?
Old 08-28-2005, 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well, if the timing chain didnt slip, and the cam sprocket can easily be tightened back up against the cam, you should be fine. I dont know why it was making noise, possibly just the timing chain sprocket wobbling back and fourth. If any real damage had occoured, it would have taken the form of a blown engine. Valves would have gone through the pistons due to the timing chain coming off, or the lifter could have rolled off the cam lobes and jammed up. Ill bet youre fine, but check you might want to look at the chain, sprockets and timing cover to see if anything looks worn just to be safe. Good luck, and im glad you cought it.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:13 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks Guitsboy. That makes me feel a little better. Im guessing the noise could have possibly come from the lobes hitting the bearings or something.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

I dont think your lobes can possibly hit the bearings, otherwise you wouldnt be able to slide the cam in or out.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

The noise may be from the cam retainer bolts hitting the cam sprocket if they are backed out far enough. If thats the case its probably not good

I know its a pain, but you may want to pull your cam and take a look at the lobes to see if any damage was done to them. If you do that take a look at the cam bearings and see if they look good (you can't see much but try).

Good luck to you.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

I still dont see how the cam lobes or the bearings could possibly be harmed when the lobes are smaller than the bearing journals. The cam would have to have walked more than a half inch and the shaft would have fallen out of the bearings and the entire engine would have jammed. So long as the engine was still running, I cant see the camshaft being damaged. Id be more worried about the sprocket wobbling around whacking into stuff and stressing the chain. But this is just my opinion. Definately would welcome anyone having valid reasons for thinking differently... plus it never hurts to check.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, the reason I sugested checking the lobes of the cam was because if it walked then the lifters would have been riding off-center on the lobes. Depending on how much off-center there may have been some damage done. I would guess he is OK because the cam would have to walk a maybe 1/4 inch to really get off-center. That is just my thoughts, I have been wrong before
Old 08-29-2005, 11:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

I guess you mean that if the lifter roller would be more than 1/2 off the edge of the cam, it would spin in its bore and gouge out the cam? I suppose its possible. Ive seen pics of spun lifters and the carnage it leaves behind. Not pretty. However I would think the spun lifter would sound like a coin jar in a paint mixer... Good call though, couldnt hurt to check and make sure. Maybe when you tighten the cam bolts, you could just tighten two of the bolts up first and leave the third to gauge how far it had walked. If it was only like 1/8" I wouldnt bother pulling the cam. If it was 1/4 or more, you might want to check it out. Just trying to come up with some ideas and possibly save some effort.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:25 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks guys!
Old 08-29-2005, 03:42 PM
TECH Veteran

WOW!

This issue happened to me. I have replaced the cam sensor twice and the crank sensor once. Last week I ripped the front cover off to check and see if my cam was sleep walking....

Nope - tight as a pup. I used a double roller chain and DID USE LOCK TIGHT AND A TORK WRENCH FOR THE cam RETAINER. - VERY IMPORTANT...

I have heard that our cams have a built-in reluctor type deal that the cam sensor uses to read the cam position Vs. #1 at TDC.

I'm sure that if I blow another cam sensor that my reluctor wheel and cam are dead (Comp Cams special grind)
Old 08-29-2005, 03:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

The cam reluctor is built into the backmost bearing journal on the cam. It cant really be damaged as far as I can see. Did you happen to check both the cam bolts and the cam retainer plate bolts? The only lther thing I could see is that the cam was ground a little bit off.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:53 PM
TECH Veteran

I checked the cam walk by grabbing the top sprocket and moving it back and forth - no walk here!

I checked the sprocket bolts - good and tight....

aftet 12K the double roller did not even stretch a tad - very snug!
Old 08-29-2005, 03:55 PM
TECH Veteran

So the cam reluctor is built into the rear cam journal? What is a reluctor - a magnet-type deal; right?
Old 08-02-2006, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the same prob with the code but my tach still works, what does that mean?
Old 08-02-2006, 01:25 PM
dug
Banned

I didnt use lock tite or a torq wrench. Still running strong after 30k miles

Quick Reply: Cam postion sensor high error after cam swap