Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pistonslap worsen a lot suddendly using oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 09:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default pistonslap worsen a lot suddendly using oil

My car since 1k miles has had pistonslap that would go away after a few mins. The car used no oil. Now just 4 months ago the pistonslap just started to get a lot worse and never completely goes away. Also it's using a lot of oil. 1 qrt in 1000 miles. I tried redine oil and that made it louder. Then I just changed over to non-synthetic Castrol 10w30 and that calmed down the noise alot but not the oil. I find it weird how the car never used any oil and now since the pistonslap worsen it's now using a lot of oil

The car has 41k miles and I have a extended warranty which I might try but GM is such a Aholes they probable won't do anything.

If I do a compression check will that show my anything? Also could it be something else than the pistonslap. I do have a AMW catch can an get 1/4 cup every few weeks.

I posted about this on ls1.com and just no help just humerous remarks.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:07 PM
Banned

i have gone through basically the same story...ended up i had 2 broken pistons #s 5&7, that particular motor never had any spray or boost on it and it killed 2 pistons. i think it had something to do with a lean condition. piston slap, then more accompanied with burning oil...then BYEBYE
Old 06-20-2005, 10:20 PM
TECH Regular

The car runs strong and haven't noticed anything else wrong. I'm not running lean. Had the car autptapped a few weeks ago and a yr ago on a dyno. I do ping though but thats because of the 91 octane fuel here in Ca.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rich Z
The car runs strong and haven't noticed anything else wrong. I'm not running lean. Had the car autptapped a few weeks ago and a yr ago on a dyno. I do ping though but thats because of the 91 octane fuel here in Ca.
My advice would be to take everything aftermarket off the car, and take it to gm see what they say. I know they will laugh at you with mods.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:33 PM
TECH Regular

ha, well yeah - my car had the SAME EXACT issue. no problems at first then EXACTLY 2 qts of oil every 3k like clock work. I thought 'whatever, stupid *** gm won't do anything anyway'. the next step was my car throwing a misfire code for the #7 cylinder in 6th gear (engine up the most load) - so i came home and changed the plugs/wires/coil pack for #7 NO GOOD. So i finally broke down and brought it to a dealer - they did a leak down and compression test. turns out #7 had half the compression of the others.

((((((((((((((((((FAST FOWARD 1 YEAR))))))))))))))))))))))))

Turns out my #7 rings were shot and b/c of the regularly low oil condition it burned up a couple valves too. So i'm basically getting a new motor - new pistons/rings (i upgraded to forged pieces and added a cam and a bunch of other stuff just b/c i wanted to have something to show for it) - but the point is if you have the warranty USE IT.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:34 PM
TECH Regular

btw - gas pedal slack mod??
Old 06-20-2005, 10:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Brett95z
My advice would be to take everything aftermarket off the car, and take it to gm see what they say. I know they will laugh at you with mods.
I'm gonna try that maybe next week. Only thing I'm worried about it my warranty says I have to have the car serviced for oil changes at a dealer every 6 months or 6k miles and I have been changing the oil myself for the past yr.