Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bad compression and check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 01:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default bad compression and check engine light

Ok, i called the dealership today because i am afraid that my 98 T/A with 61k on the clock has bad rings or head gasket, i think the compression might be down. yesterday when i changed the oil, the oil seemed really dark and smelled sort of like gas, the guy at the dealership said that it was from short trip driving, which i can kind of see. the car seems kind of rough at idle, no more so that my 96 Z-28 though, so i figured it is just the nature of the beast. and when i first got the car it would put out a small amout of whitish smoke out the tailpipe just for alittle bit then clear up. the guy at the dealership said that if i had low compression it would set a check engine light, is that true?? he said that he thought i was just looking for problems, since i just got the car, what do you guys think?? I dont know if i notice a loss in power since ive never owned an ls1 before this one. a buddy of mine has a 02 ws-6 with a few mods and it seems to pull a little harder. but i figure that is normal. please help im kind of worried about it because i dont want to have to replace a head gasket or piston rings.. thanks.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Low compression will not lead to a Check Engine light unless it is so low that it causes a misfire. My 1999 engine is a bit rough at idle (at least as compared with non-performance cars).

I would be a bit concerned about the oil smelling like gas, since this could mean you've got a stuck or leaky injector that's "washing down" the cylinder and depositing excess fuel in the oil.

If it were my car, I think I'd do a compression check (it's one of the first things I do with all the cars I buy). At the same time, you'll be able to see what's going on with the spark plugs. If you've got an injector issue, that cylinder's spark plug will probably be carbon fouled.

You can never be too careful. I can't tell you how many serious problems I've found from a minor symptom and a hunch.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, if the compresssion was low enough to cause misfires, then it would set a check engine light.

As a new owner of the car, you have the right to be concerned about items that seem unusual to you. I can almost garuntee, that the person you talked to, being employeed in the "industry", would be more sensitive than you are now, if he was in your shoes! Before leaving the dealership, I reached as high as a dealer tech could go and I can tell you, I'm SUPER **** about having to take my car somewhere. Its your car, its your right.

Quick Reply: bad compression and check engine light