Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any big duration low lift cams out there, that work well for daily driving

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 01:57 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any big duration low lift cams out there, that work well for daily driving

I'm looking for something that is close to that ASA cam that GM makes. There cam looks good but the 110 LSA doesn't seem like it would work to well on the street for a daily driver-I'd like to keep a little gas mileage as well. I want to stay away from high lift as I hate changing springs-I know its not that hard, but I'd rather not, It seems my only two options are the hotcam or the ASA, the hotcam I think is slightly to small for what I want, so are there any other cams I can find, I've searched different vendors and haven't found anything
Old 06-26-2005, 02:16 AM
Launching!

I've been there... if it is a low lift cam the duration is "low" too, I mean I would not waste money to buy - get one of those cams installed. Basicaly I would stick to the stock cam.
Tha ASA is daily driveable with a tune.
Pulls hard in any rpm. Your gas mileage will suffer with bigger cams, get used to it but the smile on your face when you fire up your engine...priceless.
110 LSA on the ASA is the fun factor - with an opened cutout ...brutish
- with closed cutout very neighbor friendly.
Take a close look again the ASA (as your "only" option with the Hotcam) if you looking for a a no maintance cam.
I can use my 6th gear much more with the ASA.
And do a search on ASA tons of info on this site.

SWEET HUH?

Last edited by TheHun; 06-26-2005 at 02:30 AM.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

How big do you want the durations??

There is this cam: VINCI

sound byte

DUR @ .004" 290*/ 294*
DUR @ .050" 228*/ 232*
LIFT .551 / .551
OVERLAP 68*
LSA 112* " THE BEAST "
DRAG & TRACK TIME
POWER RANGE 2700 TO 6500
TUNING & STALL CONVERTER REQUIRED
MONSTER DYNO NUMBERS
ROUGH IDLE
Old 06-26-2005, 06:04 PM
Launching!

Hmm that Vinci cam looks right about where I want to be far as duration and lift numbers and LSA. I'll have to call them to see how it drives and how long inbetween spring changes.

The Hun- How much of a difference did the ASA gain over your hotcam? I assume it makes for a much more fun ride on the street. I'm not to worried about track times since I won't be going to often so even drag radials are out for me. I really want as much low end torque as possible for passing in any gear, but I don't want a cam that makes more power but feels the same as a smaller one due to higher powerbands and so fourth. I don't redline the car everytime I drive it, I feel a good cam should have great power at some of those lower rpms-not just close to redline. I've heard the ASA is the cam that fits the bill, the dyno graph looks great-lots of of power everywhere. I have searched on the cam and cannot find any sound links to how it idles-found one but didn't work! from your discription of the idle it sounds like something I might like. I want and idle thats not going to drive me crazy for my daily drives, I'm running the stock catback for this very reason-I like to be quiet at times to hear the stereo, then open the cutout to let it roar at other times-so it sounds like your saying with the cutout closed it tames that lope down, and gives it more mannors?
Old 06-26-2005, 07:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by d james
Hmm that Vinci cam looks right about where I want to be far as duration and lift numbers and LSA. I'll have to call them to see how it drives and how long inbetween spring changes.

The Hun- How much of a difference did the ASA gain over your hotcam? I assume it makes for a much more fun ride on the street. I'm not to worried about track times since I won't be going to often so even drag radials are out for me. I really want as much low end torque as possible for passing in any gear, but I don't want a cam that makes more power but feels the same as a smaller one due to higher powerbands and so fourth. I don't redline the car everytime I drive it, I feel a good cam should have great power at some of those lower rpms-not just close to redline. I've heard the ASA is the cam that fits the bill, the dyno graph looks great-lots of of power everywhere. I have searched on the cam and cannot find any sound links to how it idles-found one but didn't work! from your discription of the idle it sounds like something I might like. I want and idle thats not going to drive me crazy for my daily drives, I'm running the stock catback for this very reason-I like to be quiet at times to hear the stereo, then open the cutout to let it roar at other times-so it sounds like your saying with the cutout closed it tames that lope down, and gives it more mannors?
First I never had a Hotcam...misscomunication only.
ASA makes more power over the hotcam if both cars are equally modded and tuned.
ASA is a torque monster avilable torque in any rpm range. Car gets crazy from 2500 rpm and pulls to the red line like a ...
I usually shift it around 2200 rpm thru 5 gears (1-2-3-4-5) bearly touching the gas and still putting buslengths to the average moving traffic by the time when I reach 55mhp.

Ok here are my ASA soundclips, mods are in the sig.
ENJOY
ASA cutout closed
ASA cutout opened

Last edited by TheHun; 06-26-2005 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:07 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the links! I have to say that thing sounds Sweet! I 've read alot of posts saying the car won't idle and will want to stall if it doesn't stall, but it doesn't sound like that at all, just sounds like you have to let it run for a minute to catch a good idle. I guess If you turn the idle up far enough it doesn't lope bad at all.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:53 PM
Launching!

My idle is set for 800 rpm without the AC that's what I have on the clips.
With AC it is set for 1100 rpm sounds much smoother...
I like it rought (800 rpm)

Yes on a hotstart it does looking for the idle for like 5-10 seconds (like in the clips they were hotstarts.)
No searching for the idle on a coldstart thanks for the good tune.

Last edited by TheHun; 06-27-2005 at 06:12 AM.

Quick Reply: any big duration low lift cams out there, that work well for daily driving