Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

warped valves??

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 03:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default warped valves??

If I take the Y-pipe off of the car will I cause any internal damage to the engine? A mechanic said that I run the risk of warping my valves if I leave the pipe off for awhile.

I've done this at the track and she throws a code after a bit, no biggy (rear o2's getting too much o2). Now I've already been flamed for not buying a cutout so please spare me. I just want to know if anyone can back this up.

Thanks
Old 07-10-2005, 10:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say the valves will be fine, but I was assuming mid or longtube headers and not stock manifolds. Honestly I wouldn't do it with stock manifolds. Maybe someone else will chime in here.....
It's also not recommended for a long time without extensions because you risk washing the cylinder walls down with gas and frying the rings. This happens because the front O2's are too close to outside air and the car run extremely rich as a result, usually stuck in open loop. I ran open headers for about a month once myself with no problems. Again this is true with headers, not sure on stock manifolds being exactly the same result, but I can only imagine so.

Do some searches for open headers and you'll find everything you need to know.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What blkz28 said, and I've read of people with lts putting a 1' extion on the collector and putting bungs for the rear o2's in the extions.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great input...as always thanks guys