Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leaking from heads into cylinders when car is off.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 07:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leaking from heads into cylinders when car is off.....

About 50% of the time when I start my car in the morning and give its normal 1-2 minute warm-up before I pull out of the driveway......as I gradually accelerate away down the street the car misses terribly. But after about 5-6 seconds of that it goes away and the car is perfectly normal for the rest of the day.

Is it possible that oil is leaking onto the plugs after I turn the car off and it takes a little bit to burn it off from sitting on them all night? And maybe the times that it doesn't miss is when the valves in the bad part of the head(s) are closed sometimes when the car is turned off so the oil can't leak into the cylinders.

Just a guess, but whats happening here. Its not bad gas because this has been going on for 6 months now.

Old 07-16-2005, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

If there was enough oil on the plugs to cause them to misfire then you would be seeing a lot of smoke coming out the tailpipe as the oil burned off.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by CharlieLed
If there was enough oil on the plugs to cause them to misfire then you would be seeing a lot of smoke coming out the tailpipe as the oil burned off.
Well, as I drive around during the day, if I decide to get on it, I do get a small cloud of smoke that'll come out each time I hit the gas hard. But after that initial smoke if I stay on the gas it's clear behind me. I don't leave a long trail of smoke while on the gas. And the color isn't black, its like bluish-white.

I just don't see what else it could be that causes this to miss ONLY as I pull away for a few seconds, then its fine all day and doesn't happen again.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could be an injector or fuel problem but anythings possible haven't heard or seen this problem on gen 3's too much. the older ones when they needed valve seals would smoke on start up after sitting but that would be all.
Old 07-16-2005, 08:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Oh well, I was just curious. I guess if it goes away like it does, screw it.

You want a better one to figure out, look at my thread in the "External" section about my electric fans. That'll amaze you.

Thanks.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:40 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like a tuning issue.Nothing bad. just a fuel trim difference.