Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How the F did my engine blow?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You really can't be exactly sure what caused the bearing to be spun. My father says there was enough oil in the oil pan and throughout the engine that oil starvation doesn't seem like the cause, but again it could be. I did drive the car VERY VERY hard after installing the cam. I guess I was alittle too hard, I just enjoyed my new found power So we figured the engine couldn't take the beating I gave it.

Anyways I guess my best bet is to buy an assembled engine. I was looking to go with Texas Speed's 402ci LS2 engine package they have for a price of $4,000(You can find the post in the ls2-ls7 section). Seems like an amazing deal to me. You get the following from them,

Complete Assembled & Machined LS2 Short Block From Texas Speed!!

Components:
Your Choice Of Pistons:
Diamond -2cc Piston
or
Diamond -15cc Piston
or
Mahle -12cc Coated Piston

Rods:
Scat's New 6.125" LS1 Specific 900hp Rods w/ ARP Bolts

Crankshaft:
Eagle 4340 4" Stroke LS1 Crankshaft

Bearings:
Clevitte LS1 H Main & Rod Bearings
New GM Cam Bearings

* This kit also includes the LS2 components needed to install it into a LS1 vehicle such as:
Front Cover
Timing Set
Cam Sensor
Front Cover
Valley cover

Besides a set of heads, I'll just transfer all my performance parts on to that and I'll be ready to go. Would LS6 heads be sufficient enough for this engine, or are they not big enough?
Old 09-15-2005, 11:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by freakynipples69
Would LS6 heads be sufficient enough for this engine, or are they not big enough?
The TSP shortblock is a good deal. So is the SDPC. I wouldn't use stock ls6 heads. Theyve got stock sized valves and small combustion chambers. Youre going to want stage III heads. Large valves. The cheapest you culd get away with are the new patriots which are a hell of a bargain, but some people are not so fond of patriot's quality. Talk to TSP about some stage 3 PRC heads.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
The TSP shortblock is a good deal. So is the SDPC. I wouldn't use stock ls6 heads. Theyve got stock sized valves and small combustion chambers. Youre going to want stage III heads. Large valves. The cheapest you culd get away with are the new patriots which are a hell of a bargain, but some people are not so fond of patriot's quality. Talk to TSP about some stage 3 PRC heads.
I'm trying to save as much money on heads as possible as the shortblock will be taking up most of my funds, but I've made the mistake of cheaping out on parts before, and wanting to kick my face in for it if you know what I mean.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn Im going though that same problem its just mine the DYNO took it. After new lifters, cam, and springs. 1600 bucks for something not to work that blows huh?
Old 09-15-2005, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

As far as what heads to get,

Would LS7 heads be good with the setup above? I've been reading that the LS7 heads are better then AFR. Won't LS7 heads be priced cheaper also?
Old 09-15-2005, 01:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

valve angle, intake,etc is different...
Old 09-15-2005, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon
valve angle, intake,etc is different...
... And the bore is too big. And the valves are too big. And even if the valves did fit in the bore, velocity and therefore torque could be total crap on a 402. Remember these heads were made for a 427.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:29 PM
Teching In

i was just about to guess you spin a bearing...