Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

forged 346 going to heaven & i'm in hell

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 10:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LowETz
I can understand and would agree inaccurate machining.... but you couldn't HEAR that happening? Were you not monitering your dyno pulls w/some type of software to show you what you weren't hearing?

Not trying to be a dick, but damn it man.

That sucks hard. I'd be having a documented secondary shop's oppinion/diagnosis w/a certified letter of demand hand delivered/signed for to the shop that built that abortion.

If he isn't readily willing to nut up..... get an attorney..... yesterday.

Good luck bud-
i had blow by from the first 300 miles on-i told him about the blow by -he told me the rings had to seat - every weekend it got worse -after 1200 i dyno'd -441 on the wheels with 406 torque with steady 12.6 a-f -maybe i'm a dumb *** but i didn't hear anything -after 2000 miles blow by got so bad i did a leak down test-and here i am deep in this hole.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Holy crap that is the worst I have seen a head beat up. Yikes
Old 08-18-2005, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

That is pretty bad. I would think if the machine guy won't compensate at all for some new parts that you need to get a lawyer involved now.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

OU-******'-CH! That looks horrible. I really hope you can come out on top of this. I agree, get an attorney and document everything.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 93LS1RX7
Holy crap that is the worst I have seen a head beat up. Yikes
x2.

That sucks horribly. Looks like hell.

Old 08-18-2005, 01:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every motor that I have run on an engine dyno, we ran at 2500rpm for 25 minutes for a break in, then check the valves, change the oil and then start making power pulls. That's my minumum break in. At 11:1 compression you need to mix 50/50 race fuel with unleaded, that's what I do at 11.5:1. Scan often. I never have a knock UNLESS I fill up with unleaded and don't add race fuel soon.
At 12:1 you may need all race fuel. The question is did this motor break because of detination, or did the rings never seat because they were not right, or other problems.. These LS motors are awesome when they run, but getting the right combination can be tough. The guys that are posting this is not a small block know what they are talking about. It is a whole different animal, a fast one.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1QuickT-A
I agree.. the LS1 isn't your everyday SBC engine..
I love this statement.........

not to sound like a total dick but

an internal combustion engine is an internal combustion engine........there is no difference between building an ALUMINUM SBC and an LS1 (the aluminum has no idea it's in an LS1 vs. a SBC).......

the correct statement is:

"an ALUMINUM block engine can not be built to the same specs as an IRON block engine"

ex: my engine was the FIRST LS1 the machine shop I used had ever built, but they had built countless ALUMINUM SBCs/BBCs/Fords/etc. so they knew the block would grow more than an iron version and therefore made adjustments.......after 5000miles and lots 7600RPM shifts, the engine is still running strong.......

what it sounds like is this guys machinist didn't know (and also sounds like he is a scammer) that aluminum would grow and made all the clearances too loose (why the cam bearings fell out.....they shouldn't need to be locktighted in.....)........the cylinders sound like they were bored without the mains and a torque plate on which let the bores get out of round.............about the only thing you can do is take him to court for a refund..........best of luck.....

Last edited by 2001CamaroGuy; 08-18-2005 at 06:42 PM.

Quick Reply: forged 346 going to heaven & i'm in hell