Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those that have bent pushrods...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 07:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question For those that have bent pushrods...

Did the car miss a bit at idle?

I did the dreaded 4-2 shift I have 2 severely bent pushrods and one that is somewhat bent...oddly all from the same side of the engine (passenger side). The ones on the drivers side seem straight but I will be replacing all of them.

My question is this: from the posts that I have read most didn't have a miss when they bent pushrods, which leads me to believe I bent a valve as well. Is there any way to tell other than a compression test (which is a pain in the butt) ?

Thanks!

Mark
Old 08-06-2005, 07:48 PM
TECH Regular

No that is about the only way to check. I could almost guarentee thats what happened.
Old 08-06-2005, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

I did the same thing as you, missing the 3 to 4 shift. I bent every push rod on the side of the engine and tapped the 5 valve also, which caused a miss. When i did a search i kept finding that most guys had problems with the 5 and 7 cylinders. The 5 and 7 push rods were the worst, and some of the others looked fine, but when I rolled them on a flat surface it was easy to see they had bent. To be on the safe side I pulled the head to look at it and then replaced all the push rods. I had tapped to 5 valve with the piston. It is unbelieveable that the valve did not shatter, chewing up my engine in the process. I replaced the 5 valve and spring, put the head back on, and did a leakdown. Every thing was good to go, and I have had no problems since.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:38 PM
Staging Lane

Anybody else?

Here is what the pushrods looked like when they came out (the passenger side ones).

Mark
Attached Thumbnails For those that have bent pushrods...-img_1544_small.jpg  
Old 08-07-2005, 10:02 PM
TECH Regular

i have seen alot of these at the dealership. in most cases the valve will touch the piston but won't hurt anything. i have even seen one break a spring and drop a valve but the piston just moved the valve up and down in the guide didn't even bend it. but just put hardned pushrods in and just look at the tops of all the valve and see if any set lower than the others then you have a problem.