Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zero Oil Pressure *Update*

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Zero Oil Pressure *Update*

Well as I said in this post my car had zero oil pressure when I tried to start it 2 weeks ago.
I decided to replace the oil sending unit and pump just to be sure I covered all my bases. I ordered and SLP oil pump which came with a new O-ring and higher pressure spring. Parts list I ordered Note the o-ring came with the SLP pump so I didn't need to order the bag of o-rings.
I also had an LS6 intake with 01'+ 28.8lb injectors and fuel rails I decided to install since you have to take the intake off to install the oil sending unit. I deleted the AIR and EGR also to put the LS6 intake on. Installing the intake was harder than the oil pump swap in retrospect, but not hard. It was just more frustrating because it's a lot smaller space to work in, but very straight forward unbolt, unplug, replace etc.
I then installed the new oil pump with the help of my car buddy, and it went really smoothly other than the fact I had to buy a different pulley puller. If you have an ASP pulley you can't use a normal smaller 3 jaw puller. The pulley is designed for a three bolt puller. It requires 5/16 (24 fine thread) bolts also that don't come with the puller. So we had to search and finally found a few at Lowes that were 1.5" long that would work.
Went by the directions on LS1howto and some info from this thread. Also some great info on this guy's site.

Put the car back together and tried to start it. I cranked it for a second and saw no oil pressure instantly and shut it off like a wuss. I tried it again and saw pressure instantly, it went up to 60psi. Needless to say I was happy The new SLP pump and stiffer spring have raised my oil pressure 5-10psi across the board.
Now I just need to get my cutouts welded in and have the car tuned.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad it worked out.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Great, one quick question. Did you prime the pump at all (not even sure how you can) before the start? Just wondering how long it took an empty pump to show pressure in the system.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:11 PM
TECH Regular

Thats a good Q vettenuts. I would like to know the answer also
Old 08-08-2005, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Great, one quick question. Did you prime the pump at all (not even sure how you can) before the start? Just wondering how long it took an empty pump to show pressure in the system.
I primed it by pouring oil into the inlet, spinning the gear, and pumping oil out the outlet. Cleaned off the excess oil and installed.
I also replaced the oil filter which I filled with oil, while changing the oil. I think I was just really worried and didn't give the engine long enough to register pressure. I literally only cranked it for a second before I stopped
Old 08-09-2005, 06:16 PM
Launching!

What's your oil pressure now at hot idle and hot cruising with the new pump?
Old 08-09-2005, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by waveoff
What's your oil pressure now at hot idle and hot cruising with the new pump?
I think hot idle is around 50psi and cruise around 60psi.