Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Temperature reduction plan

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Temperature reduction plan

Alright, to begin with, my LS1 is in a 1986 RX7. Fairly small engine bay, so the engine tends to run a little warm (not terribly, I sit at about 190* peak on my water temp). I do however seem to be running my oil rather hot.

The oil pressure on the car is about 45 PSI on a cold start (cold meaning 80* outside). Once the car gets up to temperature it drops to ~25 psi at a 1000 RPM idle (still tuning the cam). It has new bearings, and the tolerances are toward the looser end, but still well within spec, so the 25-30 psi hot pressure isn't unexpected. I also have an unshimmed ported oil pump, which research shows pushes more volume, but tends to lower actual pressure. I run nothing but german castrol 0w40 in the car.

I don't believe I'm anywhere near exceeding the capacity of my coolant system, as it runs right at 190* in traffic or on the highway, so I'm going to duct it a little better and leave that portion alone.

My direct plan is to install a remote mount filter adapter, route it up to a dual filter pedestal, then from there route it up to a LARGE seperate oil cooler in front of the radiator (the RX7 has an EXCELLENT one stock from the super-hot running rotary), then plumb it back up to the return on the adapter.

As I see it this should increase my capacity by well over a quart, and dramatically drop my oil temperatures, thus keeping everything cooler, and in theory bring my oil pressure up a tad as well.

FWIW, my pressure scales well even when hot. 4000 RPM is ~50+ psi of pressure, and 6500 RPM (shift point) is ~70+ psi. I would just like to cool everything down, and hopefully bump the pressure up 5-7 psi throughout.

Anyone have any input/advice on this? I'm still learning the LS1, so input is greatly appreciated-

Thanks!

-Blake
Old 08-10-2005, 04:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You can get a 160* stat and reprogram the fans to kick on at that temp. The oil cooler is a good idea too. I put a ported ls6 oil pump in when I built my new moter and the psi is 10 to 15 higher at idle and the hole way through the rpm range. good luck
Old 08-10-2005, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just a thought. The side vents behind the front tires on 98-02 Firebirds were put there to help remove hot underhood air. The earlier TA's with the big 400-455 engines also had these hot air excape vents. Supposedly the outside air flowing around car would create a vacume in this location and suck out hot underhood air.

Last edited by gollum; 08-10-2005 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can remove the rubber moulding seal under the hood and in front of cowl intake/windshield, but cabin temps will get hotter. The negetive pressure area at lower front of windshield while driving will suck out hot air from under hood..

Last edited by gollum; 08-10-2005 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Conan,

I'd bet your pump is shimmed though, most are from the porter, with a small washer or two internally, it ups the release pressure.

A 160 stat is planned this winter as well. I've got HP Tuners, so fan adjustment is gravy.

Gollum,

I don't think the venting would work with the body work that I have, although I'll look into perhaps adjust my brake ducts for a similiar purpose.

I have already removed the rear seals on the hood, though I may... and I cringe at the thought, go the way of the ricers and kick the back of my hood up an inch or so with spacers. They do it as a "drift" thing, but I'd have to think my underhood temps would drop with a cowl effect like that. I'll have to at least test it. I just hate being associated with the "drift crowd"

Thanks for the ideas and input guys! Keep 'em comin!
Old 08-10-2005, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

The cowl trick is older than my grandmothers saggy ****. NO RICE HERE

Oh by the way, RX7 sounds very RICE to me.