Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Spring Installation/Measurement

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 05:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Valve Spring Installation/Measurement

Getting ready for a spring change. I plan to get the micrometer to measure height. Question is, do I also need to measure the spring loads as well. Many here seem to simply bolt down the springs, but the seat pressures could be different with that approach. Does anyone take the time to balance the seat pressures? If so, is there a reasonably priced tool to measure spring load vs. deflection so the proper seat load vs. measured height can be achieved during installation?

Thanks for any input.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good springs typically do not deviate much on pressure. If you install a crane 144832 @ 1.80, I have found that pressures have been within a couple pounds of spec. I just installed another set of cranes on my afr 205's in lieu of springs supplied, and set installed height @1.775, accuracy of machine work was astounding btw, and all had seat pressure of 120#. You can purchase a spring pressure tester, but if you take your time and accurately measure installed height with a spring checker micrometer, you'll be fine.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just like smask said, you'd need to get a sping tester and measure each spring. very tedious. but very correct way to do it. then take the height micrometer and measure every seat. then take the time to figure out which spring would go in which seat at x.xx installed height to give you the exact spring pressure desired across the board. again, very tedious, but very correct way of doing it. it may take you hours to get it down to the 1# @ x.xx height. also, just like smask said, 2-3# won't make any difference.

the big things to look for is the 2-3 lbs closeness to desired seat pressure (nice to be over ) and making sure your installed height on each seat will be enough to clear for coil bind.