Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has blown their built motor and what did it take?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 09:44 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by critter
To bring closure to this issue, apparently the verdict is in. Although my big name vendor talked about standing behind their work and parts up front, there is no warranty on race engines. Besides, apparently it is my fault since they could have done nothing wrong. They say my tune must have caused it to detonate, taking out the rod bearings. They conveniently ignore the facts that, the engine was fat running 107 octane with less compression and less lead than last year, and there is no sign of detonation on pistons, heads, or plugs. Caveat emptor ...
The coatings deal in the other thread is something else then right? I wish I could have seen your block up close right after this damage. I have reread what you wrote and seen three engines exactly like yours in different places that had problems on the three middle caps and all those had the 3 middle caps reversed and ended up spinning those mains. I know there's at least one vendor on here that had that happen a few times.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by racer7088
The coatings deal in the other thread is something else then right?
Yes. The coatings deal in the other thread was the engine I farmed the machine work out on and assembled myself.
I wish I could have seen your block up close right after this damage. I have reread what you wrote and seen three engines exactly like yours in different places that had problems on the three middle caps and all those had the 3 middle caps reversed and ended up spinning those mains. I know there's at least one vendor on here that had that happen a few times.
I never thought to look at the main caps when I took them off. The mains look relatively good, although the picture is too dark to show it. Minor embedded trash, but you would expect that. Just 3 & 6 rods broken (and all 4 bolts broken) and 4 & 5 rod bearings trashed.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:24 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Arrow

Originally Posted by critter
Yes. The coatings deal in the other thread was the engine I farmed the machine work out on and assembled myself.
I never thought to look at the main caps when I took them off. The mains look relatively good, although the picture is too dark to show it. Minor embedded trash, but you would expect that. Just 3 & 6 rods broken (and all 4 bolts broken) and 4 & 5 rod bearings trashed.
If the mains looked good then the caps were on right so scratch that I guess!
Old 09-09-2005, 12:50 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, lets try this: How much boost, nitrous, or both were you or someone you know running when the motor went.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by menlatin
OMFG..... I got a little nauseous when i saw those. I can't even imagine how that must feel.
Holy ****, I have never felt sick looking at a blown engine before. I got the same feeling I get when I watch Trauma in the ER on The Discovery Channel when some guy gets his limb(s) torn off his body.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is some serious damage.