Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rod knock or Really bad case of piston slap???????

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 06:49 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Rod knock or Really bad case of piston slap?(Update)

This is whats going on. When I start my car, cold or hot, doesnt matter. I have a constant ticking sound, not a light tick like a lifter or whatnot. Its not my exhaust leaking, double checked all that. Its very noticable at idle to about 2k rpms then you hear the exhaust over it. I can hear it with the windows down while I am accelerating slowly or sitting in a drive through at idle its a constant, tick tick tick tick tick. Doesnt really get louder with increasing rpms just faster in the ticking. I have listened to clips of piston slap but mine doesnt sound like a diesil chuggin away. Its getting really annoying. I never really noticed before I put on my headers and exhaust, I think its just more noticable with them. Its kinda always been there. I come to this site alot for questions and I can only hope you can help best as you can. Thanks.

Ski

P.S. I can post a vid as soon as I get my vid-camera back from my buddy.

!UPDATE! Upon further investigation I have found that most of the noise is coming from my vavle train. At idle to 2000rpms it goes from a solid tick to nasty sewing machine noise. Now I know that would be typical of big cam and heavier springs. But my car is stock in that department. So what could it be? loose rocker bolts? I have tried before to remove my rocker arms but could not break the torque and I didnt want to mess them up. It was more of a exploration than maintenance when I performed that.

Ski

Last edited by Rebelord; 08-13-2005 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Update
Old 08-13-2005, 08:03 AM
12 Second Club

Anyone?
Old 08-13-2005, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Rod knock will not change with rpm. It will speed up and slow down as rpm rises and falls.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:47 AM
12 Second Club

however i have noticed in past experiences that rod knock got louder with the rpms as well as faster. but im no expert thats why im asking for advice here. however, i did have my friend take a look at it. he is older, currently working at a porsche dealership, before that he's been with chevy for 20+ years as a tech. knows his stuff. he said its not rod knock, but didnt know for sure since he doesnt have much experience with ls1s. left chevy when the lt1s were still around.

I envy him, hes the one that builds the crazy 1200aw/rwhp porsches, austin martins, ferrari's down in tampa area.

Ski
Old 08-13-2005, 09:49 AM
On The Tree

Maybe bad lifter or bent pushrod?

Just a few thoughts.

-Doug
Old 08-13-2005, 09:52 AM
12 Second Club

never bent a pushrod before. but i've killed lifters, not that. once its above 2000rpms you dont hear the tick or clack whatever its called anymore.

I updated my first post.

Ski
Old 08-13-2005, 09:59 AM
Staging Lane

My guess is the air check valves. You said you just installed headers. Did you install restrictor plates on the air connections? If not, then the sound could be your check valves fluttering.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:22 AM
12 Second Club

thats a thought, the check vavles, but i have had the headers on since feburary. I have checked them when i pull the air tubes off to change the plugs. i think there bad or just stuck open. they dont move around at all. but i definatly hear more of the noise comeing from the vavle covers.

Hell, if someone wants to PM me, I'll give you my cell number you can call me and I'll put the phone to the car.

Ski
Old 08-13-2005, 09:12 PM
12 Second Club

TTT Plz