Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Install problems, please help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 11:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the pistons are cast aluminum I would be very leary about reusing the ones the were kissed by their valves unless it was a very slight contact. Cast aluminum is very brittle and if it didn't fail when the valve hit it may fail when you put it back into service. I don't think it's worth taking that kind of chance. Do you know when the stock springs go into coil bind. That would tell you if you timing or the springs caused your rockers to snap off. It doesn't make sense that someone would sell you a cam with that lift as well as a set of hardened pushrods and not inform you that you had exceded the coil bind limit of the stock springs.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool

OOps your right,thanx for the help, car will be down for another seven to ten days while the valves and heads are being reworked.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Talking

The hardened pushrods were purchased two years ago, when I over reved and bent the stock ones, the Tit. ret. and the valve springs I purchased separately and they are the ones that fit the cam exactly. I just did not install them when I put the cam in. I was having a headache with the springs and figured putting the car back together with the stockers was okay and I was going to take the car to someone for the spring install. Guess I was wrong. My best guess and gut feeling tells me, I was way out of time a 180 degree turn and I torqued those rockers out of adjustment. When I first set the cam in the car it would not even turn but a about a quarter turn, the second time I set the cam it turned about half and then would turn hard, the third time I have set the cam at TDC using the straw method, the car turns over nice with no resistance. I was out of time and did not follow the manuel correctly. The instructions I used were off just a bit. Thanx. I understand that there are not adjustments on the valves,but you are still supposed to find TDC, torque down the rockers that you are supposed to 22lbs, then turn the motor over 360 degrees and torque down the remaining rockers. The manuel tells you to do this, why would it say this if you are not having to for this install.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Question

Purchased ARP Bolt kit. Do I follow the torque sequence provided in the LS1 How to instructions? And how much torque?
Old 08-25-2005, 06:49 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

respectfully, ssdoublek, you are new. welcome to the game, albeit the hard way.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

damn guys...just line it up dot to dot before you pull the cam and don't do anything to move the crank...install the cam with some oil to lube the cam bearings and spin it over a few times...put the chain back on with the cam gear/crank gear dot to dot (as long as you didn't move the crank you are fine).

after you have the timing chain back on turn the motor over and make damn sure every two crank revolutions the dot on the cam gear meets the dot on the crank gear (cam 6 oclock crank 12 oclock).

like the other guys it doesn't matter about the cam lining up as far as revolutions...just don't move your crank or you will be screwing the pooch...lol

good luck getting it back together man...you definately have to remove the heads now though...
Old 08-25-2005, 11:56 PM
12 Second Club

I used the guide from how web sites and a haynes manual, as well as had some experienced help. I would recommend if you are doing something for the first time you bring along a friend who has been there before.

Just so you know that does not guarantee first time success. A shop here let me use their garage and they also helped out this newbie. We still had issues. We had a bolt break in the block, we had an idler pulley break (my screw up) and a power steering pump pulley break...freak thing. She is purring like a kitten now though.

So that is my advice. Have someone help you who has done it before.
Good luck.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:19 AM
On The Tree

I guess you guys missed this. That is your problem. My guess would be that the springs hit coil bind which = broken rockers. Broken rockers = bent valves. Bent valves = 1 messed up engine[QUOTE] I don't think coil bind has anything to do with bent valves. Bent pushrods,broken rockers;cam,lifter,& spring damage,yes, but not bent valves. Once the rockers break(from coil bind) the valves will close, right.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Talking

Hey fellas, calm down,I'm looking for help, not a lecture. Thanx for all the input, but help is what I asked for, not people to talk at me. I'm tying to think positive here, and would appreaciate it if all the responses would help motivate me, not harp on what I have been doing wrong. My car will run again with or without anymore help from this sight. Thanx.