Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help diagnose ticking?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SS1875
Im sure you have checked the gaskets on the exhaust..just thought I would throw that in but it kind of sounds like the old piston slap I had once upon a time before the engine swap. Good luck, I hope you find out what is causing it.
i thought of that and checked and i actually had a loose header bolt, but the tick was still there after i tightend it....imma take the headers off and check the gaskets to make sure there not messed up...check the heads, make sure they arent cracked...ect. ect..

Jon
Old 08-21-2005, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS1875
Im sure you have checked the gaskets on the exhaust..just thought I would throw that in but it kind of sounds like the old piston slap I had once upon a time before the engine swap. Good luck, I hope you find out what is causing it.
piston slap would have been there before the H/C though wouldnt it? i've never heard it before..

Jon
Old 08-21-2005, 09:08 PM
TECH Regular

I have a 98 that was silent, after installing Patriot heads and a comp cam it sounds like a sewing machine. I called Patriot they said the heads will make more noise due to the larger springs. Called where I got the cam, they told me larger cam is noisier, so the combo of the two means my car goes like hell, but sounds like crap.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:28 PM
Launching!

my car has ticked forever, and its louder right after i get off of the highway, i have noticed that all ls1 style motors do it... the full size truck from 4.8s to 6.0s....its just one of those things, but its never thrown any false knock, and its never hurt my performance. i changed to comp oe lifters, and went over my valvetrain a million times, and its never gone away, its just slowly gotten louder after my heads/cam swap....its wierd, and frustrating, but after 10k miles of ticking, there were no signs of wear..anywhere associated with the valvetrain, and the car still pulls hard and makes great numbers
Old 08-22-2005, 06:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by zapp168
I have a 98 that was silent, after installing Patriot heads and a comp cam it sounds like a sewing machine. I called Patriot they said the heads will make more noise due to the larger springs. Called where I got the cam, they told me larger cam is noisier, so the combo of the two means my car goes like hell, but sounds like crap.
i know the sewing machine sound, and yes i have that...but there is a definit (sp?) "tick"... a rythmic tick...from the moment i start my car in the morning to when i park it at night...ill just check the headers, gaskets, ect. and see what i come up with...hopefully its something small like that...thanks for all the help...

Jon
Old 08-22-2005, 08:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'll pray that its something simple, but I'll tell you it sounded just like mine... Less than a month ago...

uhmmm 14 lifters were ate up, as in the roller looked like complete hell.... couple rod bearings spun, some scoring on the cylinder walls, couple lobes of the cam were ate up pretty good.

Change the oil!!!! Check the drain plug for metal, check your filter too.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brandon
I'll pray that its something simple, but I'll tell you it sounded just like mine... Less than a month ago...

uhmmm 14 lifters were ate up, as in the roller looked like complete hell.... couple rod bearings spun, some scoring on the cylinder walls, couple lobes of the cam were ate up pretty good.

Change the oil!!!! Check the drain plug for metal, check your filter too.
ticking's been going on for awhile, and i recently changed my oil and had some very small shavings on the plug...like im talking small, when i wiped it off with a rag it just looked like a smudge...i didnt look at the filter, but i didnt find any major shavings in the actual oil drain pan either..i did look pretty hard as well...im just at a point now, that im frustrated and fed up with it...i honestly feel if it just siezed up on me or blew up, i'd just park the car and not mess with it for along while...ill ride a damn bicycle or something...

Jon