Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help diagnose ticking?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default help diagnose ticking?

i uploaded a video of my car and would like a trained ear to help me out...there's a ticking coming from my motor. i have heads/cam and its alil hard to hear b/c of the exhaust but i did my best tring to record it...might as well not even pay attention to the video b/c its dark, and sorry for wasting ls1tech video space, but its really starting to bother me now and i wanted some opinons...i have checked the rocker arms, all tight...pushrods straight, and the rockerarms arent tapping the valve covers...to me it sounds like a lifter but i'd like a second opinion...thanks for the help..if you need more info let me know what and ill let you know..thanks again..

http://video.ls1tech.com/Player.aspx...4-D2FD702C1F75

Jon
Old 08-19-2005, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

the ticking is louder in the car, but i couldnt capture it there...and there is a whining pulley also if you really listen you can hear it...i might have to try and get a better video tomorrow...it might not sound loud, but since i have been driving the car and know the sounds it makes, the ticking is really starting to stand out to me...

Jon
Old 08-19-2005, 09:58 PM
TECH Regular

did you install a ported oil pump. my first h/c swap i didn't and had alot of very loud ticking like what you are talking about. when i installed my bigger cam a put in a ported ls6 pump it went away. i have much better oil pressure and no more ticking. i also installed comp oe lifters while i was there also. between the two it cured it.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by REDWS6ROCKET
did you install a ported oil pump. my first h/c swap i didn't and had alot of very loud ticking like what you are talking about. when i installed my bigger cam a put in a ported ls6 pump it went away. i have much better oil pressure and no more ticking. i also installed comp oe lifters while i was there also. between the two it cured it.
ported oil pump was installed...im thinking about going with the oe replacements from comp...you know i dont know how to diagnose misfires...but i have noticed that i can give my car gas and it will hesitate for a second, then just take off, without adding anymore throttle...could this be in cahoots with the ticking if its a lifter? or is that tuning issue?

Jon

Last edited by SilverStreak1830; 08-19-2005 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:23 PM
TECH Regular

if you wouldn't mind to give me some more info. miles, is the car tuned, oil pressure, a4 or m6. just need some more info please.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by REDWS6ROCKET
if you wouldn't mind to give me some more info. miles, is the car tuned, oil pressure, a4 or m6. just need some more info please.
60k right now, H/C was put on 5k ago (55K) tuned by allan Futral, oil pressure around 50-55 startup, 40 when warms up...M6

Jon
Old 08-19-2005, 10:35 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds like a rocker to me. Are they stock rockers or roller rockers? If they are rollers could be a loose stud. It could be a lifter, but it sounds like it is coming from up top.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by zo6vetteman2003
Sounds like a rocker to me. Are they stock rockers or roller rockers? If they are rollers could be a loose stud. It could be a lifter, but it sounds like it is coming from up top.
stock rockers, i checked them all and they were all tight..i guess i can check them again...ill most likely just buy some new lifters and do the whole process over again...if this is a lifter, what is a good way to make sure this doesnt happen again...anyway to prep them?

Jon
Old 08-20-2005, 08:02 AM
TECH Regular

sounds like a lifter problem to me. i would suggest the comp oe lifters. i got mine from tsp shipped for $200 they are a great piece and were delivered two days after i order all my stuff.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:12 AM
Teching In

Silly question, but is this the LS1 tick at start up, thats just not going away? If it is, I reduced mine by going with thinner oil. Im stock with a few bolt ons, and I know that there is a ported ls6 oil pump on there you said, but it sounds like you're having a problem getting oil into the rocker valley. could be a bad port job on the pump, not to sure about that. Try going one or two steps thinner on the oil, see if it changes anything. My .02
Old 08-20-2005, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by snkeh8tr
Silly question, but is this the LS1 tick at start up, thats just not going away? If it is, I reduced mine by going with thinner oil. Im stock with a few bolt ons, and I know that there is a ported ls6 oil pump on there you said, but it sounds like you're having a problem getting oil into the rocker valley. could be a bad port job on the pump, not to sure about that. Try going one or two steps thinner on the oil, see if it changes anything. My .02
from like 10w30 to 5w30 or do i have that backwards?

Jon
Old 08-20-2005, 11:28 AM
Launching!

Jon, My car sounds a lot like yours. I've replaced everything (even the shortblock) and have experimented with different size pushrods and different rockers. Other than mechanical problems (i.e. bad lifter, loose rocker, etc.), no one has been able to come up with a solution. My guess is that there is no solution. I think the combination of larger cam, agressive lobes, larger valves, stronger springs and headers, produces a louder valvetrain. When the RPM's get above 2000, you start to get some of the valves closing at the same time, thus the "ticking" or "knocking" noise. At this point, I have accepted that this is the way it is until I try a different cam with different springs (and even then it probably won't go away).

Last edited by Byter; 08-20-2005 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Added headers...
Old 08-20-2005, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

could it be detonation?

Jon
Old 08-20-2005, 11:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SilverStreak1830
could it be detonation?

Jon
Hard to say unless you get someone to check, but I hooked up Autotap to mine and had zero Knock Retard, even at WOT.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Byter
Hard to say unless you get someone to check, but I hooked up Autotap to mine and had zero Knock Retard, even at WOT.
god this is so frustrating!!
Old 08-20-2005, 03:40 PM
TECH Regular

i use mobil 1 5w-40 with my set up
Old 08-20-2005, 06:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SilverStreak1830
stock rockers, i checked them all and they were all tight..i guess i can check them again...ill most likely just buy some new lifters and do the whole process over again...if this is a lifter, what is a good way to make sure this doesnt happen again...anyway to prep them?

Jon
On the valve lash adjustment with stock rockers you can't get your fingers in to spin the pushrod, so the procedure calls for the "wiggle the rocker" method @ zero lash. You also need to adjust for zero lash for quite a few engine rotations to make sure all are at zero lash, no pressure on the valves. The lifters should be allowed to bleed down completely at zero lash 1/4 turn at a time. After you are done, the engine should be brought up to operating temp. Once it is hot, another 3/4 turn. Power has been found at a 3/4 turn running alittle less preload than that of 1 to 1-1/2 turns when hot. If a lifter has pumped up with oil, it will not tick, unless you have a turned lifter making a hell of alot more noise than a tick. I would only replace the lifters if you are positive one has collapsed. It is alot of work especially ensuring all coolant, oil, thread lock has been removed from the head bolt locations. This is very critical or you can crack the block. (The coolant could expand in the hole under the head bolt and crack the block.) There is a "how to" do the lifter replacement posted here on LS1tech.com, as well as the valve lash adjustment
Old 08-21-2005, 04:05 AM
On The Tree

Welcome to my world. Your car sounds good by the way! My car has always had a slight tick, but it got worse when I put the cam in! I think it's a combined result of moving the lifter to a different spot in it's bore, along with higher spring pressure, faster ramp rates, and poor oiling. Bigger cams usually have a smaller base circle, I'm going to replace my pump with a ported one and see if that makes any difference. My tick can be heard more under the car, so I'm going to replace the rod bearings just to be on the safe side. If that dosn't work then I'm going to replace the lifters with the comp oem replacement ones. If that dosn't work then either the cam is bouncing in the block, or my lifter bores are screwed up! Either way, No hp is lost so it's not a huge concern.

vid of my car ticking

http://geoffwhite18.com/ticktick.wmv
Old 08-21-2005, 10:35 AM
Staging Lane

My car has had an intermitant loud tick that sounds just like that. I just realized it is actualy coming from my AC. Try pulling your AC belt.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:21 PM
11 Second Club

Im sure you have checked the gaskets on the exhaust..just thought I would throw that in but it kind of sounds like the old piston slap I had once upon a time before the engine swap. Good luck, I hope you find out what is causing it.

Last edited by SS1875; 08-21-2005 at 08:30 PM.